8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Monarch Error

elginreigner _

Since tech support never figured it out and they obviously have fixed it, has anyone ever recieved the following error, if so how did you work around it?

"An error was encountered while reading the sample data. The value at row1, column15 could not be read. This and subsequent bad values will be treated as nulls. "

The field barely contains values, normally blank, it is a character field. I only get this error when I try to apply a filter on the file during import.

I already know where most will go with this, no it is no my file, nor my data, nor my installation. I have had this problem off and on for the last 2 years.

• Monarch Error
          RalphB _

Elgin, the only time I've received that error is when I was importing a spreadsheet that had a column that contained a format that it wasn't expecting or a mixture of alpha and numbers in that column.

The way I solved it was to convert that column to text before importing through Monarch in Excel by selecting the column and then do a Data - Text To Columns formating.

Since I open multiple spreadsheets that may have problems, I have a script that converts all possible problem columns to text up front.

• Monarch Error
              elginreigner _

The file is from my SQL database. I will update my script to add a double quote to the beginning of the field for Monarch to read the field properly.

I'm just waiting for the enhancement I want, the ability to override Monarch reading of datatypes for CSV files.

• Monarch Error
                  Grant Perkins

The file is from my SQL database. I will update my script to add a double quote to the beginning of the field for Monarch to read the field properly.

I'm just waiting for the enhancement I want, the ability to override Monarch reading of datatypes for CSV files.[/quote]

If you can open the SQL with an associated model where the appropriate field type is already set I think you should be able to get around the default setting OK.

Grant

• Monarch Error
                      RalphB _

Elgin,

I never encountered that problem with databases, just with Excel files.

• Monarch Error
                          elginreigner _

Grant

I have been moving away from Monarch connecting to my SQL server directly. When no on is on the system this is not a problem, when over night processes are running, or I have 50 collectors on the system, it slows it down and results with a crashed Monarch program due to waiting for a response from the server.

• Monarch Error
                              Grant Perkins

OK, so what is the file?

I'm not clear on this. Have you extracted a csv (or whatever) file from the SQL but now have the issue if field definition when try to open the extracted file?

Grant

• Monarch Error
                                  elginreigner _

Grant

I extract data from SQL to a CSV file.

During the open process inside Monarch, I try to filter out data early because I only want to see parts of it. When I specify the filter and apply, the error pops up.

Keep in mind this only happens when I take the live file into a new project. I have created test files that allow me to properly setup the model and project. Once completed, I replace the test file with the live data file. As long as I dont have to adjust the model, it works without a problem.

I would separate the data through the SQL normally, but in this case I need it all to be there. (Soon will have to separate, I am approaching the 10 million record limit in Monarch)

I do this because I return data to many clients. In the beginning it was 1 client per project. Well that got to be quite redundant and a waste of time. I have created an entire generic return process using roughly 75 Monarch projects, with a simple filter in works like a charm.

Long story short, this error only happens upon a new project creation.

• Monarch Error
                                      Gareth Horton

Elginreigner,

Is it possible to post a sample which causes the issue?

I notice that the error appears in row 1, so hopefully you should be able to mock up a few lines and post them here using the code feature (the # symbol in the forum message editor) so we could copy it into notepad then save it out and test it?

Thanks

Gareth