4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Data Truncation

Chuck B

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with a multi-row template. I've set up a trap and defined a dummy template after the report section and it looks as though it's all being captured on the report (highlighting) but my Table window and test extraction files have missing data. It seems to be consistently so I'm sure I'm setting it up wrong. Has anyone else been stuck on this?

Report:

NUM TRANCODE DESCRIPTION                          SIT  F/C   AMOUNT   SERVDATE

==============================================================================

1 72461    CT SCAN, HEAD/BRAIN; W/O CONTRAST M  CHB  HS    148.00  06-12-06

2 HSA      HEALTHSPAN PAYMENT                   CHB  HS   -128.00  08-07-07

CHECK # 15026                                            

3 HSLP     HEALTHSPAN CONTRACTUAL ADJUSTMENT    CHB  HS   -100.00  08-10-06

My data always gets cut-off just before the last amount and date???

• Data Truncation
          Olly Bond

Hello Chuck,

It would be very helpful if you could post the report between and tags, and to indicate the trap characters you're using. It sounds to me like you might be using the floating trap by mistake, but I could be wrong!

Best wishes,

Olly

• Data Truncation
            Grant Perkins

Hello Chuck and welcome to the forum.

A quick first check. Monarch has a Show field contents feature intended to allow full field contents to be seen withou the need to expand the field to full size in the table. Have you checked to see what that shows?

If that display misses data them we need to investigate your template.

If, however, all the characters appear than we need to adjust your columns for visibility and, possibly, export depending on what format you are exporting to.

The other possibility that comes to mind (if I read the description right) is that you are using a CHARACTER field with a 254 character limit and hitting the limit. See if changing the field type to MEMO makes a difference.

HTH.

Grant

• Data Truncation
                Chuck B

Grant,

Thanks for the response, it looks like I was hitting the character limit.  Setting to a memo field was all I needed.  Thank you! 

Are there any training materials available to me (free ones?)

Chuck

• Data Truncation
                    Grant Perkins

Grant,

Thanks for the response, it looks like I was hitting the character limit. Setting to a memo field was all I needed. Thank you!

Are there any training materials available to me (free ones?)

Chuck[/quote]

Hi Chuck,

Glad you got the solution. I nearly forgot to mention that one!

10.5 ships, iirc, with an electronic version of the training guide - should be in the Monarch Menu folder I think. The training guide is pretty comprehensive but would need to be closer to 1000 pages to cover all the little angles available!

Ialways suggest working through the first 10 lessons - maybe 12 and then cherry picking the rest as an when you need them. Check the contents so you know what they contain but don't feel a need to become expert until the need arises.

Then there is the forum - much to be found here - and the excellent newly updated [URL="http://www.********************/"]******************** /URLwhich is a great launch pad especially if you have got to grips with the basics using the training guide.

Two things.

In most cases whatever you want to do will be easier than you are expecting but may not look so at first sight. Keep it simple wherever possible.

Be prepared to try stuff that you think might work. You can't break anything and it takes very little time to check something out. The experience, successful or not, will be useful.

HTH.

Grant