13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Olly Bond RSS

basic extract

karenTC _

I'm a newbie and have created a few exports successfully.  I have a report that has 4 columns of info.  The first column is a memo field that may be anywhere from one to 4 lines and always ends with a question mark.  The other three columns may or may not have information.  Basically the first column is a question and the other three are answers.  However, some questions have nothing in the answer columns, yet I still need that in the export.

I capture everything I need by using "blank field values" to end the last 3 columns, but it keeps splitting the question into multiple lines.  I've tried every option to end the field. 

The only marking I could do to capture my data, is an alpha character in the first character of the first column.  There is nothing else consistant.

• basic extract
          Olly Bond

Hello Karen,

Does your data look like this:

Question ... Answer 1 ... Answer 2 ... Answer 3

This is a ... 1 ... 2 ... 3

question ...

that might ...

have lots ...

of lines ...

This is a ... 4 ... 5 ... 6

question ...

that might ...

have lots ...

of lines ...

This is a ... 7 ... 8 ... 9

question ...

that might ...

have lots ...

of lines ...

/CODE

?

Defining the Question field as a memo and selecting end on "none of the above" would normally work, except that you're only able to trap on line 1, column 1, so it's picking up line 2 as a new detail. I think we might need to suggest a Prep routine. Is there anything consistent - like the tab or space characters to the right of the question?

Don't worry, if there isn't, we're almost certainly going to be able to fix this in two passes. What happens when there are no answers? Does the next question just run on?

Best wishes,

Olly

• basic extract
              karenTC _

Wow that was quick.  Yes that layout looks right.  2, 3, 4 may be blank.  There isn't anything after the question mark.  The only consistency is each field always  starts at the same fixed location.  Depending on what is in column 2, there may be data in columns 3 and/or 4.  So the only consistencies are there is always data in column 1 and always a question mark at the end.  And each field always begins in the same fixed location. 

It looks like such a simple task, but apparently not.

• basic extract
                  karenTC _

Sorry, I forgot your last question.  If there are no answers in columns 2,3, and 4, it just goes to the next question.  And one other consistency, there is always a blank line between questions.  So it could take up as little as one line, then a blank line and the next question.

• basic extract
                      Olly Bond

Hello Karen,

Thank goodness for the blank line...

So does it look a bit like this?

Question     A1     A2     A3

This is a     1     2     3

A question

that might   

have lots

of lines

This is a     4     5     6

B question

that might   

have lots

of lines

This is a     7     8     9

C question

that might   

have lots

of lines

/code

It should be simple: define a detail template with an alpha trap in column 1, having selected the first line of a question that contains answers.

Then define the question field as a memo, double click on the field, select the advanced tab, set the "end field on" to "blank field values: 1".

Define the answers as required, click OK and you should be fine.

HTH,

Olly