6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by joey RSS

SQL Server Queries

Tim Racht

We are receiving this error on our processes but they are running.  Any idea what this is and is it a problem or if we can correct it?

17052 :

This SQL Server has been optimized for 8 concurrent queries. This limit has been exceeded by 2 queries and performance may be adversely affected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url].

• SQL Server Queries
          mdyoung _

It sounds like your trying to query off a version of SQL Server that isn't meant for a large number of people to query. You can get this error if you're running a development, MSDE, or even a SQL Express edition of SQL Server. What version of SQL are you running? Use the following to obtain this information.

SELECT @@ Version

(NOTE:[/B] You'll have to remove the space between @@ and Version because I kept getting a page submission error. Apparently, you can't post valid SQL code in these forums. Wrapping it using the tags didn't work either. It's either a bug with vBulletin or it's a way to help prevent SQL injection on these forums.)

Thanks,

Micheal

• SQL Server Queries
            joey

We used to recieve this error on a regular basis and it didn't seem to affect the performance or reliability of the server.  We were on SQL express or something similar.  When we upgraded to V10 of Data Pump, we needed to upgrade the version of SQL server and the messages have not appeared since.

• SQL Server Queries
                mdyoung _

Tim,

I need to clarify something from my last post. I was taking in consideration that you have several processes trying to query a SQL server for data input or external lookups, and THAT SQL server may be an edition that can't handle very many queries at a time. If this is the case, then you may have to upgrade to either a Standard or Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

However, after reading Joey's reply, I remembered that DataPump uses an Express edition and that the error message you are receiving could possibly be related to that. SO..... my last post may not even be related to your problem, but rather Joey's resolution could be more beneficial to you.

Thanks,

Micheal

• SQL Server Queries
                    Tim Racht

Would the use of external lookups have enything to do with the sql server and exceeding the number of concurrent queries?  We have several of our processes that use an external lookup in an Access database and was wondering if that would have something to do with exceeding our concurrent queries.  We are still receiving these 17055 error messages.  If anyone has any additional information that would be helpful.

• SQL Server Queries
                        mdyoung _

More than likely, you could be exceeding either the OLE DB connection limit or the amount of concurrent queries hitting the database. MS Access is not the ideal datasource to query from in my opinion because of all the limitations it has, especially in relations to OLE DB connections. If possible, I'd recommend transferring the data over to a SQL Server database. You may can even get away with using SQL Server 2008 Express, which is free from Microsoft.

Here's a link to compare SQL Server versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx[/URL]

Here's a link that can give you more details as to the limitations of Access:

http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/what-are-the-limitations-of-ms-access.html[/URL]

If you're using Access as a front-end UI for your end users, I would suggest storing all data in SQL Server and linking the tables within Access. Then just point all queries, forms, reports, etc. to look at the linked tables. This way, you could query off SQL Server and not Access. I'm not sure if this is feasible to you, but it's worth mentioning.

An idea that just popped into my head since you do have DataPump, is to create a SQL Server database table to store the data you need, create a Monarch project that queries Access and use DataPump to export to the SQL table. Then you can query off SQL Server instead of Access.

Thanks,

Micheal

• SQL Server Queries
                    joey

no, external lookups are not the cause.  It is an interaction between SQL server and Data Pump, and I'm not aware of any setting you can tweak to make the message go away.  In my experience, the server was still functional when we recieved the message.  Upgrading Data Pump to 10 forced an upgrade to our SQL server version, which caused the message to go away. 

It has nothing to do with what you are using Data Pump for, or what the individual models do.