7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

    Monarch and Office 2010

    elginreigner _

      is anyone else testing office 2010?

       

      When I go to export , it tells me it can not open the database. Any ideas?

        • Monarch and Office 2010
          elginreigner _

          Update - this is not a 2010 issue. Same problem, different system, Server 2003 Office 2003. Must be the file. Wish I could post it, but it contains credit bureau data.

           

          Will update when I find the problem.

          • Monarch and Office 2010
            Data Kruncher

            I'm not testing Office 2010, but out of curiosity, what format are you attempting to export to?

              • Monarch and Office 2010
                elginreigner _

                Definetly one of those days. I have narrowed it down to the fact that it's a database file with a TXT extension. When I create the project it's fine, anytime I would drag another file to it, to work with that file I would get the error. The only thing I can assume is b/c TXT files are not true database files. In essence the same as a CSV but we all know how Monarch handles files, in their own way.

                  • Monarch and Office 2010
                    Grant Perkins

                    Definetly one of those days. I have narrowed it down to the fact that it's a database file with a TXT extension. When I create the project it's fine, anytime I would drag another file to it, to work with that file I would get the error. The only thing I can assume is b/c TXT files are not true database files. In essence the same as a CSV but we all know how Monarch handles files, in their own way.[/quote]

                     

                    There are usually assumptions made about files with .TXT extensions and that it may be a database file is not one of the general rules considered. Can you change the extension to make it more representative of its true file type?

                     

                    Have you considered changing the INPUT FOLDERS Options? By default a .txt file is deemed to be a 'report file' rather than a database file. It's just possible that changing that for the model in your problem project will give you a way around the issue but I have never experimented with it so cannot be sure.

                     

                     

                    Grant

                      • Monarch and Office 2010
                        elginreigner _

                        Grant, I only simply had to change the  name of file through the database connection setup. I typically dragged the next file onto the project, as in the case i did not like TXT as a data base. I wish Monarch would stop assuming certain data based on a file extension. Just because it's text does not mean it's a report.

                          • Monarch and Office 2010
                            Grant Perkins

                            Grant, I only simply had to change the name of file through the database connection setup. I typically dragged the next file onto the project, as in the case i did not like TXT as a data base. I wish Monarch would stop assuming certain data based on a file extension. Just because it's text does not mean it's a report.[/quote]

                             

                            The assumptions about file types by their extension are, surely, a Windows 'feature' related to file associations. The Monarch options default to the Windows 'standards' with the intention of making common relationships easier for most people to deal with and save some effort of selecting which application to use every time they click on a file they want to open. The use within Monarch is a variation on that theme. MS Office follows a similar path.

                             

                            My guess is that if you disassociate the .txt extension from the 'Report' options default Monarch will probably no longer make the assumption.

                             

                            That said, from a personal perspective when browsing around amongst files I would much prefer to see a database file with its normal extension than a .txt extension so that I have some idea about what it is without having to always check the properties.

                             

                            The applications that really annoy me in terms of using default extensions are the video and audio interpreters that battle over which shall be top dog for presenting AV files. Personally I would prefer that none of them were but having thrown them out they always seem to find a way back in.