3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Default Settings

elginreigner _

I have roughly 1000+ projects that have a date stamp in them. With the year changing, how do I update all of them without having to manually open them to the new default settings? More specifically, the years, I need 1911 - 2010 to be applied to them all.

• Default Settings
          Data Kruncher

Project files, while in XML format, are really just plain text files, so it might be a somewhat straightforward task to find a utility that will perform a search and replace within the files and will handle all of the files automatically in a batch fashion.

In fact, the Monarch Utility that's installed alongside Monarch should be able to do that for you.

If the year values are stored in filter or other calculation it should be easy enough to do. If you're referring to runtime parameters whose default values are in the Windows registry, then that's a different animal.

Kruncher

• Default Settings
              elginreigner _

As much as I'd like to do a simple find and replace, this could go wrong and change dates I dont need change. I guess I will be stuck with opening them and changing them manually.

It would make more logical sense that if a project was setup using default settings it would point to a default setttings file but if were altered away from the default settings it would create its own settings.

Oh well. I'll just have to work around this.

Thank you for the input.

• Default Settings
                  Data Kruncher

Continuing on that path/concept, you could build a "Default Settings" model that contained values in calculated fields, and then build strong links to that model in your various other models. In that way, updates to the master file values would be automatically pushed out to the other models when they're used.

A one time investment in effort could pay off nicely for future updates.