2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

sorting pages in a PDF based on a list residing in an xls file

GRYSYF _

I have a 500 page PDF file of sales tickets, that each have a pick ticket number on top.

Upon mining the data via monarch & exporting to Excel, I do mutiple sorting and rearrange the hierarchy of the picktickets.

Now I would like to print the pick tickets in the PDF file in the order that I created in Excel.

How do I do it?

• sorting pages in a PDF based on a list residing in an xls file
          Olly Bond

Hello GRYSYF,

I would have thought you could design a summary in Monarch that contains the information you need, in the right groupings and order, and then it would be easy to export this as a PDF if that's what's needed.

You might also be able to script something that can print individual pages of a PDF based on a list of ticket numbers generated by Monarch, but that sounds more complicated to me...

Best wishes,

Olly

• sorting pages in a PDF based on a list residing in an xls file
              Data Kruncher

I believe that Olly's correct; you'll need to develop a little script to handle a custom printing sequence of a PDF file. I don't know of any other means to perform what you've described.

I'd be tempted to use develop an [URL="http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/"]AutoIT[/URL] script to read in the sequence of page numbers (probably from a text file rather than an Excel file), and then put the right number in the page number field of Print dialog of the PDF viewer, like Adobe Reader.

If you're not accustomed to this type of work, you might be in for a bit of a learning curve. But you may find that it does open some other possibilities for you as well.

Have fun with it,

Kruncher