5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by cburnell _ RSS

Problem opening PDF files with 10.5

cburnell _

We are having a problem with Monarch pro 10.5 opening PDF files that most recently were installed with a stand-alone copy of Monarch 8 or 9 and were upgraded to a network copy of 10.5.  Both of those machines can open PDF files fine with their stand alone version but after uninstalling the stand alone version and installing the network 10.5 pro version they receive an error that the PDF file is not valid and will be opened as a text file.  Other computers that were upgraded from a network version of Monarch 9 pro to the network version of 10.5 pro are not experiencing this problem even when opening exactly the same PDF files.  Any ideas?  I have left messages and tried to talk to technical support but have so far been unsuccessful in talking to anyone or getting any response.

• Problem opening PDF files with 10.5
          Olly Bond

Hello cburnell,

We're about to migrate to 10.5, once DataPump Pro v10 is released, so I'd welcome the chance to check this out for you. I've got 10.5 at home, running on Vista, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I have noticed that the scaling value seems different - a model I had with scaling at 7 was read by a customer with v9 as scaling 3 - even though we'd both specified 9.01 as the PDF processing engine...

Please do email me a PDF & model if you can at olly@greenbar.info[/email].

Best wishes,

Olly

Grant Perkins

Hi cburnell and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to clarify that your reported problem, if I am reading it right, only applies to machines that have previously had stand alone licences of Monarch but have been upgraded by a network licence installation process for future use.

From what you wrote it sounds like th regular upgrade on machines that were previously insatalled as network licences (but not V10?) is proving OK but the 2 machines moving directly from V8 or V9 stand alone licences to V10.5 network licences are not.

Have I got that right?

Grant

cburnell _

Grant,  Yes what you stated appears to be the case.  We tried on Friday uninstalling the 10.5 network version, reinstalling version 8.  We verified that pdf files were still opening using version 8.  Actually we were opening exactly the same files that we could not get to open on that machine using the network version 10.5.  We then uninstalled version 8 and restarted the computer.  We then reinstalled the Network Pro version of Monarch 10.5 and the pdf files would still not open. 

Since PDF files coming from our Kronos system are the main thing that this user works with we uninstalled 10.5 again and went back to the stand-alone version 8 until we can get a solution determined. 

We have exactly the same issue on another computer that was using stand-alone version 9  that we tried upgrading to a network copy of Monarch Pro 10.5.

Grant Perkins

Is this a completely fresh install of a 10.5 network version, including the 10.5 server prior to the workstations?

I'm not familiar with the network installation process however I believe it has some prerequisites and must be performed in a certain order, especially if is an update.

If those requirements have been satisfied then it seems like a component is not installing properly somewhere. I assume there should be a log file of the install progress somewhere that might offer a clue but practically I think your best option would be to contact Datawatch Technical Support to try to enlist the help of someone who has access to the installation program code.

HTH.

Grant

cburnell _

It was an upgrade of an existing network server installation.  We upgraded from version 9 pro to version 10.5 pro.  All of the workstations that were previously using the network version 9 pro upgraded without any problems.  The machines that are currently not able to open PDF files are ones that prior to the upgrade had a stand alone version of Monarch installed.  After uninstalling the Stand Alone version and then installing the network version of 10.5 pro they get an error message when they try to open a PDF file from the monarch application.  There is not anything wrong with the PDF file that is being opened because it can be opened from Monarch on other computers.