6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:06 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

how do you make the summary stick to your main info?????

tigerlili101 _

Please oh please don't tell me I am dumb, but I cannot figure out how to make the changes I make tot he summary, to not repeat the info, stick to the main body of the report and then table the info correctly. What am I doing wrong???:confused:

• how do you make the summary stick to your main info?????
          tigerlili101 _

Truly, I am in need of help, if someone would just tell me how to do this?????    :eek:

Grant Perkins

Hi tigerlili and welcome to the forum.

Are you by any chance applying a filter to the summary but not to the table - or perhaps a filter to the table but not to the summary? The summary, unless using the same filter, will work with all extracted data, not just what is visible in a filtered table. If the table is filtered and the filter is the 'default' filter then a summary also sef (as is the default!) to use the default filter should show the same records UNLESS there are some other settings in the filter that only select a yet smaller subset.

If the answer is nothing to do with filters but you are seeing data in the summary gthat is not in the unfiltered taable, then you have uncovered something very interesting I think. Are you working with a report or using Monarch with one of the forms of 'database'?

HTH.

If not let us know but it may be good for us to be able to read what you are doing step by step.

Grant

tigerlili101 _

Well................ Ia m unsure of the filters thing, I haven't yet used a filter I guess. I am fairly new to mapping with Monarch on my own, I have used the models from previous people setting them up, and have even fixed a few things, but this is my first "from scratch model" I am trying to pull information from a itemized statement, that isn't a simple form or such. I did fix alot of my own problems by making the last few traps into footers, instead of addendums.

I want the final product to be a table that does not repeat any info in the next row down. So that I can export that to excel and use it then. I haven't used filters, or have any idea how to pull a filter up. Also, I just did change the summary, and nothing happened in the final table product, it still repeated the info I didn't want it to. HELP!!! :eek::confused:

Thanks for the welcome, and I hope to gain more knowledge here, since I am going to be working with Monarch for some time!!!!

Grant Perkins

Also, I just did change the summary, and nothing happened in the final table product, it still repeated the info I didn't want it to.[/quote]

OK, let me take a step back here for a moment.

When you use the word 'summary' are you referring to a section of the report you are extracting from? I had assumed you were talking about a Monarch summary but that dpoesn;t seem to fit with your description of the problem.

If you are having problems extracting the records as you want them to be (and it sounds like this may not be a straightforward report - if so, welcome to the first timer's deep-end of the pool! You are one of many that visit here never having worked alone in the shallow end ....) then I think the swiftest way to be able to help would be if you could paste a sample of the layout (say a couple of records or pages) into the forum so we can see what you are dealing with and work out some approaches.

You may need to depersonalize the data first of course.

If you post the sample between CODE tags ( Sample but lose the spaces I inserted in between the brackets)

it should retain the format.[/code]

Grant

tigerlili101 _

ACCT#     LAST CHRG     LAST INS PAY-NOTES     PAT SSN#     TOTAL     INSURANCE     SUBSCRIBER     subscr ssn#     subscr employer

02650     040809     082709     569-89-78999     25.00     SAGAMORE HEALTH     BLOW, JOE     569-89-78999     UNKNOWN

02784               999-99-9999     698.23     UNITED HEALTHCA     HOOTIE, HOO     999-99-9999     BEST BUY[/B] FT WAYNE IN

02838     061009     063009     999-99-9999     198.65     MD OUT OF STATE     WEINBERGER, FANNETTA     999-99-9999     BEST BUY FT WAYNE IN

02848     071309     090109     666-99-8999     20.00     ANTHEM BCBS **P     KING, ELVIS     666-99-8999     CINTAS[/B]02849     071709     073109     333-33-3333     30.00     ANTHEM BCBS **P     LAUPER, CINDY     333-33-3333     CINTAS[/B]

The bold being the info that is repeated until the next line is different

And yes, I was speaking of a summary in Monarch, I am probably as clear as mud, trying to describe, sorry. I did go to the summarry wiindow and was able to find the properties/display and click on the keyfield to change the repeat last known, ANd it did, but only showed the ones not repeated, then did niot change the main report and tabled info, still repeated. Any info is appreciated, ahve a wonderful afternoon, and THANKS!!!!!

Grant Perkins

OK, as I read it what you start with looks something like this in the TABLE after extraction from the report.

ACCT#    LAST CHRG       LAST INS PAY-NOTES        PAT SSN#    TOTAL         INSURANCE        SUBSCRIBER              subscr ssn#         subscr employer

02650    040809           082709               569-89-78999    25.00       SAGAMORE HEALTH    BLOW, JOE              569-89-78999         UNKNOWN

02784                                          999-99-9999    698.23       UNITED HEALTHCA    HOOTIE, HOO             999-99-9999         BEST BUY FT WAYNEIN

02838    061009           063009               999-99-9999    198.65       MD OUT OF STATE    WEINBERGER, FANNETTA    999-99-9999         ****

02848    071309           090109               666-99-8999     20.00       ANTHEM BCBS **P    KING, ELVIS             666-99-8999         CINTAS

02849    071709           073109               333-33-3333     30.00       ANTHEM BCBS **P    LAUPER, CINDY           333-33-3333         ****/code

... except the fields where I entered **** are empty and you want them to repeat what was in the previous field.

I guess in theory you want to go to the FIELD PROPERTIES and then the GENERAL tab and look at the line that reads Empty Cells and offers the opportunity to set a radio button to indicate to leave the cells blank (the default) or fill with the value from the previous record.

You found the same thing in the Summary but that is only for OUTPUT. The field definition operates for INPUT. (Caps only used as a hoped for simple aid to memory.) So, right idea, just the wrong place I think.

Alternatively if the field comes from a part of the report where you would expect an entry - a field created from an Append Template for example - then a blank may indicate a problem with the template - so be careful about auto filling.

If you have the Monarch electronic training guide available to you there is a sample report that is used to cover exactly this sort of functionality and a quick read through the relevant lesson may help to fix the concepts in place for you. Lesson 5 (V10 and V9 learning guide and earlier I think) describes it.

HTH.

Grant