4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Bill Watson RSS

    How are "All Filters" Export Order Selected

    Dave-G _

      I would like to know the export order that Monarch uses when it has the "All Filters" selected? I have 3 projects with 3 similar models with the only difference being the type of filters used. On each of the 3 models, the filter names are exactly the same. I entered each filter in the order that my input file data appears as a category break on the report.  Within the filter listing it is then sorted in ascending order. The ascending order is not the same as my input file order. When I manually run the export and select all filters to put files in a folder, the export statistical listing shows a completely different order than the ascending filter order and also my report page break order. Why? That's one question. Another, has to do with this same issue that when I run the 3 projects manually. The data is in the correct Excel file with the table name for each as untitled. Which is fine. My problem is when I try to run these projects with Data Pump. I get some files with an Untitled1 or Untitled2 or Untitled3 as tab names base upon the Export order shown on the job log for each of the 3 projects. The filtering export order does not make any sense. Also, I did make the field data list for all 3 projects exactly the same to prevent Monarch from thinking that it is a different format and should not be appending to the file. What insight do you have from my rambling?

        • How are "All Filters" Export Order Selected
          Olly Bond

          Hello Dave,

           

          You're using v8 according to your profile, so I can't replicate it easily, but you will get a better idea of the behaviour if you look at the xmod and xprj files in Notepad (caution: it's worth making a backup copy to play around with, Monarch can be a little fussy if you make changes to these outside of Monarch & DataPump).

           

          The order in which filters were built in the model, and the order in which exports were defined in the project, should give you an idea of what's happening. I think there was a request in the sticky thread above to offer users the option to re-order filters and exports in a future version - I've not checked if v10 offers this yet.

           

          HTH,

           

          Olly

            • How are "All Filters" Export Order Selected
              Data Kruncher

              It might be easier to review the xmod for the sequence in which the filters were defined by right-clicking the file in a folder view and selecting Open With Internet Explorer, as it automatically presents XML in a more readable format. Of course to make manual edits to resquence the filter definitions, you'll need to use a text editor. Do as Olly says though and make a backup beforehand.

               

              Within the XML, look for the  tag within that section.

               

              Be really careful[/B] when editing that you're copying/cutting and pasting in the proper place. Unfortunately the only way to control the sequence, if it doesn't currently match your needs, is to edit the XML manually.

                • How are "All Filters" Export Order Selected
                  Dave-G _

                  I have v9, if that makes a difference. I did the reordering of the xml and the export sequence was not the same as the xml reordering. I, then deleted all the filters and put them back in alphabetical order for all 3 projects. When I re-ran the projects, then all 3 export sequences were the same. Which is what I wanted. Still not sure as to how the filters are sequenced. Thanks for your help.

                    • How are "All Filters" Export Order Selected
                      Bill Watson

                      Apologies for the necro!

                       

                      I have been pulling my hair out with this in a V8 model. I manually change the order of the filters in Notepad to be what I want. But if i then save the model from Monarch for any reason (i.e a field change) - the filters revert to some seemingly random order (but consistent order which is not even the order I created the filters in the first place). I have cleared out the audit trail for creation of the filters so I am not sure where it is picking this order from when saving from monarch.

                       

                      My naming convention for filters is CC_nnnnn_nnnnnn or TB_nnnnn. I want it to output as follows

                       

                      CC_00104_123456

                      CC_00121_345678

                      TB_00101

                      TB_00107

                      TB_00601

                       

                      But what i get is

                       

                      TB_00601

                      CC_00104_123456

                      TB_00121

                      TB_00101

                      etc

                       

                      I have a large number of these filters and would have prefered not to have to set up individual exports for each one