9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by AlexM _ RSS

Monarch v10 freezes on Windows 7

AlexM _

Having cleanly installed Monarch Pro 10 then upgrading to v10.5 on a new Windows 7 PC, I've been having problems when adding new fields or databases (Access .mdb or .accdb primarily) to either existing models/projects or new ones as it seems to completely freeze Monarch. Any suggestions?

There's been no problems running the same on my older XP computer.

Alex

• Monarch v10 freezes on Windows 7
          Grant Perkins

Alex,

Did you have any problems before the 10.5 update or ws that not something that fits into the chronology. (I get the impression that you have in effect installed 10.5 immediately before using the Windows 7 machine so that intermediate check may not be available but thought it a good idea to ask.)

Have you also installed the Context Add-in? (Again asked for completeness.)

I don't have Windows 7 but could check for 10.5 anomalies on Vista if that might be worthwhile for diagnostic purposes.

Grant

AlexM _

Hi Grant,

I can't say whether there were any problems prior to v10.5 as it's a completely new computer with a fresh v10 installation which was immediately updated.

I'll try installing the Context Add-In to see if it makes any difference but I do seem to recollect something similar happening in Vista, again on a new installation, so it'll be interesting to see if you or anyone else encounters similar issues.

The problem seems to occur when updating or linking databases. Whether they're local on the C:\ drive or on a network drive doesn't seem to matter, nor if it's an Excel file or Access file. It just hangs even if allowing the link to populate overnight!

There shouldn't be a hardware problem as there's nothing else running and it's got 4Gb RAM.

Since I can't imagine running up against any Monarch limitations (the two databases I'm cross-linking are 200Mb+ and 300Mb+ only), the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the latest Microsoft MDAC may need installing but it seems odd as one would expect everything to work out of the box especially if you're a new Monarch user...which I'm not.

Alex

Grant Perkins

A simply thing but easily overlooked - have you checked the export Options are set as you expect them to be?

I don't think the Context add in is relevant here if you had not alreay installed it - I was thinking more that installing it might have introduced something previously unidentified.

I assume that W7/M10.5 has up to date .NET and so on.

Apart from that how about permissions? It sounds like that should not be an issue with the problem existing locally but one never knows with Windows.

Grant

AlexM _

Thanks for the suggestions, Grant.

The export Options look fine.

An up-to-date .NET is hard to establish since there's nothing visible under Control Panel/Programs and a Google search of .NET and Windows 7 doesn't elicit anything except hinting that 3.5sp1 might be included. As Monarch loaded without a warning, I might try installing this via the link at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx[/url]. What have I got to lose?

Windows permissions are fine.

Alex

AlexM _

Actually, the .NET settings could be seen under Programs and Features and 'Turn Windows features on or off'. Looks to be currently 3.5.1.

Alex

Grant Perkins

Hi Alex,

OK, then I think a call to DW Support is indicated. You may consider checking the log file first I guess - its contents might help support.

I'll take a flier at this point and guess that not many of the active forum participants are running 10.5 on Windows 7  - so feedback might not be timely and hence the suggestion to go to support.

The joys of being at the leading edge Alex!

Let us know how it pans out ...

Grant

AlexM _

Although it's early stages, the fact that by default the .NET settings appeared to be turned 'off' in Windows 7 (which may be the case for other users) and, when ticking these 'on', things seemed to progress might be a good sign. Thanks for the help!

Joe Berry

I am currently running v10.5 and Windows 7 (64 Bit) on my laptop. Have seen no issues so far.  Have used current and new models/projects with no issues.

AlexM _

I am currently running v10.5 and Windows 7 (64 Bit) on my laptop. Have seen no issues so far.  Have used current and new models/projects with no issues.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to see if anyone's run into any Windows 7 (32-bit)/Monarch Pro 10.5 issues when using external lookups. I thought the above would cure things but the freeze now makes it impossible to work with anything other than the simplest (and smallest) database links. I've had to resort to Virtual PC XP mode to get around this. So much for progress!