4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Template deosn't work on Identical Report Formats

vchris _

I have multiple reports that share the identical format and layout.  I created one template to be able to extract exactly the same data from each report.  Nothing fancy just straight columns of what I need with one Numeric Trap. Then in the Table, I have a number of Sorts, Filters and Calculated Fields to clean it up.  It worked perfect on the original report but now when I load other reports the Template either does nothing or selects what appears to be random segments of data.  The only thing odd about these report is that they all exceed the 4000 character line limit and it states that they will be Truncated.  This is okay as the data I need isn't in the section that gets dropped and the remaing columns stay consistent in position.  The reports are in CSV format if that matters.

• Template deosn't work on Identical Report Formats
          Olly Bond

Hello vchris,

It sounds to me that you're missing a stage out - either prep the data using teh tools at:

http://www.datawatch.com/_support/downloads_updates.php[/url]

or the tools included in the Monarch Utility.

Another way to deal with it is to treat the data as a database - if you have Monarch Pro. If you only have Standard, the upgrade's worth it, not just for this feature but for many others.

Best wishes,

Olly

Grant Perkins

Hi vchris,

I'm with Olly on this one - I think you need to gain control of the report format using the Utility of stand alone programs unless you can read the csv file (and discard the unwanted columns) as a database. If there is anything funny going on in the file(s) provided these processes should help to identify what it is. (I have assumed you are not already using the database read option based on your probloem description.)

Things that might have an impact that are the result of the file format include the position of any file formatting characters (see and play with the Options settings to see if anything makes a difference to the results - just look for a difference rather than a correction at this point).

From the Monarch downloads web site there is also a program called EXAMINE which is very useful at times like these for seeing what is ini the file character by character.

Another possibility (maybe in addition to format issues) is that your trap does not work for all the files. Obviously it could fail if the report format was inconsistent at the position you are setting the trap but perhaps the data is also inconsistent compared to the trap rules? You don't say how you are setting the trap but working with a format like a csv file with potentially variable width fields can be prone to 'unexpected data' issues.

Let us know what progress you make  - we may be able to offer further suggestions.

HTH.

Grant

vchris _

The Database route worked great.  I used Open Database in stead of Open Report, selected the CSV file and the column headings that I needed and it created the Table.  I tested it with multiple CSV files and it remains consistent.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Grant Perkins

The Database route worked great. I used Open Database in stead of Open Report, selected the CSV file and the column headings that I needed and it created the Table. I tested it with multiple CSV files and it remains consistent.

Thanks for your help.

Rick[/quote]

Good news Rick!

Glad you had Monarch Pro version available - it offers so much more flexibility than Standard for relativiely little additional investment. Much more for you to play with now you have seen the potential!

Grant