3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Olly Bond RSS

SQL Export Problem

mdyoung _

I'm using DataPump v9 Pro and trying to setup an export to a SQL table. The SQL table contains some fields that are BIT data type. On DataPump's Export Wizard - Column Info screen, none of the BIT type fields are displaying in the "Destination Column" drop-down box. What's going on and how do I get them to appear? Please note that changing the BIT field to an INT data type is not an option for me.

Thanks,

Micheal

• SQL Export Problem
          Olly Bond

Hello Michael,

Monarch doesn't know the BIT field type - fields are Numeric, Character, Memo or Date/Time. Monarch uses the JET database engine and stores its data in essentially the Access format, and I don't think that this handles or recognises BIT fields.

As a workaround, I can only suggest you extend the SQL tables to have a numeric field that Monarch can write to, and have a routine in SQL that updates the BIT fields based on the values of the numeric fields.

Best wishes,

Olly

• SQL Export Problem
              mdyoung _

I know it's a late response, but thank you, Olly. I was able to talk the DBA and developers into changing the bit field to an int. They had to do a few minor adjustments on their software side, but they lived through it. All is working fine now.

Thanks again,

Micheal

• SQL Export Problem
                  Olly Bond

Hello Michael,

Delighted to hear that you were able to get your colleagues to collaborate on a solution. There's no functional reason, as far as I can understand it, to limit DataPump to the Jet engine and so it could, in theory, work directly with SQL and so handle much larger data sets, more fields, different field types etc.

A version of DataPump that wasn't throttled by the desktop limitations inherited from Monarch sounds lovely. Whether there are enough of us who think so, and have the odd $10,000 spare to buy a copy, I don't know.

I think there are already some operations where you can tweak DataPump to output data directly to SQL bypassing the "table" view in Monarch - which is something that can help with really large datasets (>10m records).

Best wishes,

Olly