9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

What are Monarchs' limitations?

Carcophan _

Greetings all;

I am entirely new to Monarch software and had a few basic questions before I get started. I did not want to invest the hours of reading and the trial and error learning, for something that may not be possible with the software, so I figured that I would ask first. I have also looked around the forum and the search tool, but was unable to find much information that made much sense to me.

Basically, we have a report that our department receives several times a day. The data within the report is dynamic in content and in length. The majority of the data is of a consistent type from report to report, but the location and orientation of the data within is not.

We receive the data in something called “.SNP” format which is basically a PDF. In order to make the report usable for us (make it a ‘non-picture’ format) we convert it to “.XPS” and pull the text data out via a script. (SNP to XPS to TXT)

Our ultimate goal is to sort the report in a way that all of the account numbers, dates, contact information and other relevant data is in a consistent order from page to page, so we can put it into XLS or Access.

Example:

{some information has been generalized as needed}

Area Region Open Issues

Accounts Omitted From Being Screened

Current Call Information

DTL PRBLM Entered on: 10/1/2009 Entered by: Agent_Name – Agent_number  Supervisor: Sup_Name Due on: 10/32/2009 Comments: no equipment, black screen

AR Information

(#####5) Area Region_sub_class

Rate = $$$.$$ Balance = $$$.$$

Contact Information

Customer_Name

109 Customer_address, town_state_zip

(#####5) ######6-##2  (letter)

Home # (111) 222-3333 Other # () 

No points give Points:

Device Information

• Sub has had no other recent activity ** Sub has no issues ** Sub has no requests

• Sub has no Recent contact

Other_info

9/27/2009 1/22/2009

Other_info

Other_info

Other_info

Other_info

Other_info

Other_info

Other_info

/code

This is how the text appears in the master work log.  This is only one example account, there could be anywhere from 10 to 300 of these, one after another in this long text file.  As is, it is top down, with those random looking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6's, the "Other_info" relates to the individual numbers.  You may need to scroll to the right in the code box, to see the full line which I am posting about in particular.

My main issue of concern is the line:

DTL PRBLM Entered on: 10/1/2009 Entered by: Agent_Name – Agent_number  Supervisor: Sup_Name Due on: 10/32/2009 Comments: no equipment, black screen[/quote]

as this is all on one long line, and the physical location of this data is very dynamic.  The Sup name, agent name and dates effect the location of where the 'comments' appear on the line.  It is my understanding that all of data X should start on column #47... data Y on column #76 and data Z on coulmn #110 for example, and if X, Y and Z do not start AT THESE locations, monarch cannot read them?

Is it possible to seperate the comments and each of the other fields as if they were static?  Can it put each element of the long string into individual new rows in consistant order?  Can Monarch tell the difference between a partial account number and the full one as seen below, and respond as needed?

(#####5) ######6-##2  (letter)

instead of

/quote

Sorry for such a long first post, I appreciate any information anyone may have that can get me started in the right direction.  Thanks all!

• What are Monarchs' limitations?
          Data Kruncher

Greetings Carcophan.

Nothing like diving into the deep end of the pool at the start.

It's too bad that you don't have v10 at hand, as you'd be able to use the XPS as an input source and depending on the layout, it might have made the task a bit simpler. Or, maybe not. Nonetheless...

Since you'd mentioned that your biggest concern is the DTL PRBLM line, let's put that to rest right away. Yes, you can extract the various bits like Supervisor, comments and dates with Monarch Extract function. You'd start by capturing the entire content as one long field, and then break that up with the Extract function for each field, specifiying what preceeds the part that you need and, optionally, what terminates that particular section of the data.

Unfortunately my time may be a bit short today so I must invite other members to jump in and take over here.

As to specific limitations, you'll find the technical limitations documented in the online help, but outside of that, my experience with Monarch has been that any other limitations are just what you can dream up.

Kruncher

Carcophan _

Thank you for the fast reply.

I was worried a little becuase the book that we have and the version of software we are working with with do not match, and was unsure what the function I was looking for was called. I will do more research specific to your advice: You'd start by capturing the entire content as one long field, and then break that up with the Extract function for each field, specifiying what preceeds the part that you need and, optionally, what terminates that particular section of the data.

/quote

This brings up a follow up question as well:

"what terminates that particular section of the data."

There is not a set delimiter or terminator at the end of 'Comments', it may be blank, end in a letter or number or punctuation.  The only thing I can think of is the next literal 'line' of the text, but that in itself is dynamic as well.  So any of these may be the next literal character after the "DTL PRBLM " line.  AR Information

Rate = $$$.$$ Balance = $$$.$$

Contact Information

Customer_Name

/code

If I can find a pattern in these, I can make an IF stucture and react to that. 

Thanks again:D

Data Kruncher

I think that you overlooked the "optionally" part.

For cases such as your Comments: string, specifying a termination for the extraction isn't necessary. The Extract function will start extracting as you instruct it, and go right through the end of the original string, so long as the new calculated field has been defined with sufficient size.

You could capture the AR Information section with a field that uses a setting on the Advanced tab to specify that "AR Information" appears in the preceeding line, if you're not building a separate template with for that block.

All for now... will check in again in awhile if possible.

Olly Bond

Hello Carcophan,

In general, if the question is can Monarch do something, the answer is yes. Specifically, you asked:

"Is it possible to seperate the comments and each of the other fields as if they were static? Can it put each element of the long string into individual new rows in consistant order? Can Monarch tell the difference between a partial account number and the full one as seen below, and respond as needed?"

For point 1, yes, use the floating trap or the extract, substr, or lsplit functions.

For point 2, no, not into separate rows, but into separate columns in the table. If you then have a need to convert this into multiple rows of data per entry, then use a summary.

For point 3, this should be straightforward with a calculated field, possibly a lookup field, possibly a user defined function.

For what you're doing, which may require multiple passes, and where it sounds like you want to automate the solution a little, and where your source data is XPS format, you should use Monarch v10 Pro.

Best wishes,

Olly

Carcophan _

Thank you both.  I brought up the idea of version10 to leadership.  Guess how that turned out...

Regardless, I appreciate all of the input.  I at least have several good terms to associate my issue with, narrowing the research and study I need to complete to get this done.  Why focus on Apples when all you really need is an Orange.  Granted, learning something completly is always better, but  time and presure from above... they just want the Oranges at this point and they don't care how they get them.  :mad:

Thanks again!

Grant Perkins

Thank you both. I brought up the idea of version10 to leadership. Guess how that turned out...

Regardless, I appreciate all of the input. I at least have several good terms to associate my issue with, narrowing the research and study I need to complete to get this done. Why focus on Apples when all you really need is an Orange. Granted, learning something completly is always better, but time and presure from above... they just want the Oranges at this point and they don't care how they get them. :mad:

Thanks again![/quote]

Ah, an oft travelled road.

My apple tree had another exceptional year (though last year was exceptionally bad). My plums too. I don't think the climate around here would support oranges.

The blackberries are running wild.

Grant

Data Kruncher

I take it that you've been celebrating the end of the work week with some peach schnapps this evening? :rolleyes::D

Carcophan, if they really want quick results, and enjoy the, er, fruit of your Monarch labours, they'll need to fund some training for you.

You can't have your (fruit) cake and eat it too...

Carcophan _

they'll need to fund some training for you[/quote]

:confused:

I'll start holding my breath... :rolleyes:

Grant Perkins

I take it that you've been celebrating the end of the work week with some peach schnapps this evening? :rolleyes::D

Carcophan, if they really want quick results, and enjoy the, er, fruit of your Monarch labours, they'll need to fund some training for you.

You can't have your (fruit) cake and eat it too...[/quote]

Not noticably, no! But I found Carcophan's observations to be subtle and pertinent w/r to a few conversations I have had this week. And anyway we need a few more decades of temperature re-adjustment before I would expect to be able to attempt a crop of peaches around here!

I do tend to agree about the training though. A fast route to and through the Doors of Perception.

Grant