3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Copy a process from one MDP to another

Olly Bond

Hello everyone,

We have MDP 9 Pro, and run two installations. One is in production (PROD), the other is for development and testing (DEV). When I build a process with, say, 10 projects, how can I reliably copy the entire process (including distributions, scripts, monitoring settings etc) once it's signed off on DEV and is ready to move to PROD?

Best wishes,

Olly

• Copy a process from one MDP to another
          joey

Excellent question!  I'd love to hear more about your setup!  We have not set up a highly structured environment yet.  We do have a test machine, but it is for testing out upgrades to Data Pump, and not changes to individual processes. 

The back end of Data Pump is SQL.  If you view the tables, PumpProcesses is probably the key to your question.  You could copy one row from the table on DEV to the table on PROD.  Then, you would need to copy the folder with the XPRJ files ect.  I think this table contains everything local to the process.  However, if you have anything system specific, such as distributions, and global scripts it may pose a problem.

Please let me know what you think and if you work somethign out.

If I may pose a question to you:  What is different between DEV and PROD?  Are all of your exports to development databases / or the local disk drive?  Our challenge is that all exports are to the main file server, and we don't have a test version of that file server.  Difficult to run a production job on test.

ZJSoule _

Olly,

I think you can use Monarch Utilities to accomplish this?  The only thing that doesn't get carried over would be any manual scripting you have done (at least that's been my experience).  We have had to move our projects/models multiple times, and have had the UNC pathing and directory pathing change on us, all of which is manageable by using the utility.  You can copy projects/models en masse, and manage all the paths as well. 

Zach

Olly Bond

Hello Zach, Joey, everyone,

The Utility will copy the projects etc, but in many cases I don't want to touch them. It's the DataPump process which I'd like to move.

I agree that we could label the process as "DEV" on the production server, but what I'm working towards is limiting access to the production server and so stopping colleagues from putting anything into production which is not signed off formally, which is where having two machines is helpful.

I understand that this will now be included in the next version of DataPump.

Best wishes,

Olly