4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by adonis _ RSS

populating user defined calculated field

adonis _

quick question, I have been asked to create a new column and populate the data across the board with a specific value ie: create a new column called Security and have the standard value  = C throughout for all records.

can anyone help?

I can create the new column but puting in a standard value for populating the all records for that field is where i get stuck.

• populating user defined calculated field
          Nick Osdale-Popa

If it's always going to be C[/B] for all records, then you can make a calculated CHARACTER field and give it the value "C" (with the quotes).

If the value is going to change, again for ALL records, you can make the character column a runtime parameter and fill it in each time the model is run.

adonis _

Nick appreciate the feedback but not sure how can i create a standard process to automatically populate what you indicated.

I can create the column to make the column but to get the value, not sure how to get the "C" populated for every record without manually typing that.  i want to have all records have that "C" value.

can someone give me an example how to make that new field populate with that "C"

Data Kruncher

You're almost there. It seems that you're confusing a "formula-based" calculated field with the "user-edited" approach.

To automatically fill the field value for each record, you want to use the "formula-based" calculated field.

The "user-edited" approach will, by definition, require that you key each field.

Create a formula based calculated field and as Nick says simply make the expression for the field:

"C"[/CODE]

HTH,

Kruncher