2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by beadzoo _ RSS

Trouble with Append

beadzoo _

Hello,

I'm having trouble mining data from a PDF report with Monarch Pro v9.01. I can successfully mine data using the "detail" form of a template, and also the "footer" version of a template. However, for all "append" forms, my data only shows up as a "null" or blank in the table.

Below is the start of my report that I am using to collect data, and I'm looking to collect all the data only for each line below the header "Blocking Constraints", so pretty easy for template setup, other than I cannot use the "append" function for beyond the first template (the "detail" one).

Statistics - M6F_1                                                            Page 1 of 9                                                                               

-

Report:     Statistics                         Request:    M6F_1 (706)                   

Solver:     Line Holders Award                 Created:    07-15-2009 13:45              

Category:   MSP_CRJ_FO                         Hostname:   egnpbsslvprd                  

Scenario:   August 2009 Parallel               Paramset:   M6F                           

Period:     August 2009                        Status:     Current Solution              

-

//  PROBLEM - solved in: 0:03m04s (0:02m42s cpu time)               

Base      = MSP                                                                          

Equipment = CRJ                                                                          

Status    = FO                                                                           

Period    = August 2009 Parallel                                                         

Snapshot  = 7/13-Close Aug Parallel Sesn                                                                               

//  BLOCKING CONSTRAINTS                                                                 

Activity Name: Day Off                             =   DO                                

CDO: pairing class for CDO trips                   =   CDO                               

Line Range: Min. credit for regular line           =   70:00                             

Line Range: Max. credit for regular line           =   90:00                             

Line Range: Apply Maximum block time for regular line =    TRUE                          

Line Range: Max. block time for regular line       =   82:00                             

Line Range: Apply credit/block rules for max. line range =    TRUE                       

Line Range: Max. credit for max. line range        =   105:00                            

Line Range: Max. block time for max. line range    =   94:00                             

Line Range (CDO): Min. credit for CDO line         =   0:00                              

Line Range: Apply proration for credit and block times =    TRUE                         

Open Time: Max. credit allowed                     =   101:00                            

Open Time - Maximum open lines: Apply (instead of stacking per day) =   FALSE            

Open Time - Maximum open lines: Limit              =      0                              

Open Time(CDO): 1st uppper limit based on number of open CDO trips =     50              

Open Time(CDO): 2nd upper limit based on number of open CDO trips =    100               

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 1st interval =      4                              

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 2nd interval =      6                              

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 3rd interval =      8                              

/CODE

Here is my output... I have three templates here for my example to submit for review here. The first one is the page header template "MSP_CRJ_FO", the second column is the append template (no data harvested, the problem I'm persistently having), and the third is functioning ok - the detail template (70:00). Any suggestions? Thank you - Jeff

eg_MSP_CRJ_FO     eg_90:00     eg_70:00

MSP_CRJ_FO                    70:00

/CODE

• Trouble with Append
          Grant Perkins

Hello beadzoo and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you have the Page Header template under control but I have some doubts about the detail and append templates.

Firstly it would be interesting to know how you are trapping the detail template. Form your description I would guess that you are trapping only for the line

Line Range: Min. credit for regular line           =   70:00[/code]

but your description reads as if you need all the lines in the BLOCKING CONSTRAINTS section, in which case a diffeent approach may be required.

Your description also suggests that the line

/code

is your APPEND line. That seems to be a little in conflict with the requirement for all the lines in BLOCKING CONSTRAINTS to be part of the record under normal processing BUT there are exceptions where an 'append' type concept (i.e. not part of the detail template) may be required.

If that template as it currently is works as a footer type, no matter how it is trapped, it is because the second line falls AFTER the detail line. The general rule is that an APPEND trap must exist BEFORE the trap for the DETAIL to which it relates while a FOOTER trap should fall after the detail trap.

Now it is possible to 'trick' Monarch into seeing APPEND traps BEFORE (or more usually THE SAME AS) a detail trap but to have the data selection for characters AFTER the detail data. However I'm not sure at the moment that that approach is really what you need here.

If we look at your report as a 'traditional' report I would see this structure, based on your description of the requirement:

Page Header.

Statistics - M6F_1                                                            Page 1 of 9

-

Report:     Statistics                         Request:    M6F_1 (706)                   

Solver:     Line Holders Award                 Created:    07-15-2009 13:45              

Category:   MSP_CRJ_FO                         Hostname:   egnpbsslvprd                  

Scenario:   August 2009 Parallel               Paramset:   M6F                           

Period:     August 2009                        Status:     Current Solution              

-

/code

APPEND SUB-HEADER (Maybe)

//  PROBLEM - solved in: 0:03m04s (0:02m42s cpu time)               

Base      = MSP                                                                          

Equipment = CRJ                                                                          

Status    = FO                                                                           

Period    = August 2009 Parallel                                                         

Snapshot  = 7/13-Close Aug Parallel Sesn                                       

/code

DETAIL

//  BLOCKING CONSTRAINTS                                                                 

Activity Name: Day Off                             =   DO                                

CDO: pairing class for CDO trips                   =   CDO                               

Line Range: Min. credit for regular line           =   70:00                             

Line Range: Apply Maximum block time for regular line =    TRUE                          

Line Range: Max. block time for regular line       =   82:00                             

Line Range: Apply credit/block rules for max. line range =    TRUE                       

Line Range: Max. credit for max. line range        =   105:00                            

Line Range: Max. block time for max. line range    =   94:00                             

Line Range (CDO): Min. credit for CDO line         =   0:00                              

Line Range: Apply proration for credit and block times =    TRUE                         

Open Time: Max. credit allowed                     =   101:00                            

Open Time - Maximum open lines: Apply (instead of stacking per day) =   FALSE            

Open Time - Maximum open lines: Limit              =      0                              

Open Time(CDO): 1st uppper limit based on number of open CDO trips =     50              

Open Time(CDO): 2nd upper limit based on number of open CDO trips =    100               

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 1st interval =      4                              

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 2nd interval =      6                              

Open Time(CDO): Maximum CDO trips for 3rd interval =      8

/code

In which case both of your main sample fields are really part of the DETAIL template. Remeber that APPEND and FOOTER template have special proertires realted to repeating for more than one detail record where appropriate and in this case that would not seem to be appropriate - the 2 fields exist as part of the same record.

If your BLOCKING CONSTRAINTS sections always contain the same lines in the same order you can more than likely treat all the lines in the block of data as part of the same record. If the block does not always have the same line or they are not always in the same order there are other options for dealing with the block yet still treating it as a single detail record.

If dealing with the block as a single record is not possible for some reason we may need to resort to some 'Voodoo Monarch' techniques but let's cover the other options before going there!

HTH.

Grant

• Trouble with Append
              beadzoo _

The general rule is that an APPEND trap must exist BEFORE the trap for the DETAIL to which it relates while a FOOTER trap should fall after the detail trap.[/QUOTE]

Grant,

Thank you for your follow-up. The above item is the cause for the trouble I was having. I am now following the following priority for template type as they are laid out in my document: Page header, Append, Detail, Footer.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff