11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:05 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Does 10.01 update kill the SetRuntimeParameter() method?

Nick Osdale-Popa

I decided to download and install the url=http://www.datawatch.com/_support/downloads_updates.php#MonarchDownloadableTools10.01 update[/url] today, and suddenly all my routines that require setting a runtime parameter have been failing. It's actually returning a FALSE value even before[/I] the model is loaded (something it's not supposed to do per the programmer's guide). And of course when the model is loaded, it's prompting me for the values - not good in an automated system. :eek:

Luckily I had a Restore Point (I have one created everyday on bootup) and was able to get back to v10.00. I ran the routine again and it ran successfully.

I then set a new Restore Point, ran the update yet again -NOTE: I'm not undoing my last Restore Point, I'm actually installing the update again.

I tried the routine, yet it fails to set the Runtime Parameters.

So I Restored backed to the last Restore Point to get back to v10.00 and everything is running again.

Has anyone else installed the update and had any issues with the COM?

• Does 10.01 update kill the SetRuntimeParameter() method?
          Olly Bond

Dear Nick,

I've got 10.01 installed as well. Do you have some sample scripts/reports/models to hand that I can try to replicate this with?

Best wishes,

Olly

Nick Osdale-Popa

Unfortunately, the reports contain employee records and are just too cumbersome to scrub.

Olly Bond

Hello Nick,

As far as I recall, Steve Caiels had a very handy Excel sheet that could anonymise reports by replacing any alpha character with a random one, and any numeric digit with another random one, leaving punctuation and white space unaffected. I'll try to get hold of him to ask if we could borrow it.

Best wishes,

Olly

Joe Berry

That would be a great tool for all of the forum members.  Would the author be willing to share?

Joe Berry

v10.01Pro

Steve Caiels

Hi Joe / Nick / Olly,

It's been a while since I looked at that. I think it's pretty complete, but I'll need to check and get back to you.

V1 had a problem with dates. Randomly changing 01/01/09 to 86/52/83 for example meant that dates went to null. I added an option to "maintain dates" so all numbers get changed to 0 or 1. I think I got side tracked before I got that fully working with the two levels of randomisation – so I’d like to check that out before making it public.

[U]It will, of course, be from me personally rather than a Datawatch supported or endorsed tool.[/U][/B]

It was the first "app" I wrote while trying to learn the fundamentals of vb, so it's a bit clunky.

{EDIT - It's a stand alone vb app rather than an Excel macro by the way}

Cheers,

Steve.

Nick Osdale-Popa

Steve - I'd love to have a look at the code, if you wouldn't mind.

-

Well, I just confirmed the SetRuntimeParameter() "bug" on another machine.:mad:

I did an simple uninstall/install on that PC and the routine ran fine.

Nick Osdale-Popa

I just had a thought about the "Anonymiser" ... since it's replacing characters with random characters, this is going to throw off the model. Which, obviously, you'll need to go back into the report and change those words back so that the traps work correctly. Depending on the traps, that can get tedious, but it's a necessary evil.

Steve Caiels

I thought of that Nick :). So there are two levels of randomisation.

There’s a “fixed map” I think I called it. At the start of the run it creates a single random map of (for example) A=G, B=X, C=R, T=F

So every instance of CAT in the report get’s changed to RGF

But just in case that is not random enough to secure the report, there is a fully random method as well, where one cat will change to hlw and another may even change into a dog.

The preserve date option I mentioned is actually changing all numbers to 1. 0, 1 & 2 is no good of course (21/21/21 or 01/00/00). And there is a change all letters to “A” option.

I’m pretty sure they all work in their own right, but I think the logic on selecting combined options is not sorted yet. Unfortunately, or fortunately I suppose really, I’ve had my disabled son with me at home this weekend, so not had time to look at it. But he’s in bed no, so fingers crossed I’ll sort it out this evening and post it later.

Cheers,

Steve.

Nick Osdale-Popa

Thanks Steve.

Sandy sent me an Excel macro that scrubs data as well.

I mentioned to him that numbers don't really need to be anonymized as they become pretty much meaningless without context. This would essentially preserve dates.

However, in the same vein, there are numbers that DO mean something, such as SSNs. In that regard, I used a regular expression to look for the pattern of SSN (###-##-####) and then picked a random number and just repeated it (111-11-1111). Other patterns such as credit card numbers and such could also be scrubbed.

Just a thought to keep in mind, since you're already looking at date formats, you could leave those in place and not randomize them and then just randomize every other type of number found. This too would preserve the dates and then scrub all other "special" numbers.

Steve Caiels

Good point Nick - but I wanted to create a utility that would scrub everything rather than have to modify it for ssn, sort codes, dates etc.

I've used a sledge hammer approach of trundling through the file character by character, so the read ahead for regular expressions would not be that easy to implement.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the applet SEEMS to be fully working! Maybe I just never got around to documenting it then

I’ve uploaded it to http://www.caiels.com/private/index.shtml[/URL]

Username : sjc

Password : knighton

You’ll find a link labelled “Scramble”, just under the white Weather Underground box

[U]:eek:Scramble will not alter the original file and there are no delete operations in there, but use at your own risk!:eek:[/U][/B]

And no – that’s not my forum login as well ! I’m happy for it to be distributed – it’s only there at my son’s request to stop his mates finding embarrassing photos (of him or his dad!)

You may find the occasional User Conference photo cropping up on there. In fact, as I type, there is a picture of John Kitchen and Cruncher trying to hook a bottle in Phoenix.

As a side note, the web site is not being updated for much of the weekend as the webcam and laptop are being used to monitor my son – and not published of course!

The sample folder contains a small original report and the output “.Scram” files with various options.

The .exe should work standalone. It’s written with vb 2008 express edition – I can upload the entire project if you like. You may need to install .Net runtime, but if you have Monarch V10, then you’ll already have .net 3.0 or above of course. The .vb file is the code, but it’s no good without the forms and everything else that make up the vb project. I’m not sure of the most efficient way of distributing that?

I still have a slight feeling that some options may not work in conjunction with one-another, so please let me know if you find anything.

Cheers,

Steve.