4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Dirk Schulze RSS

Problem with PDF

TPAUL _

Have a file that we get from a vendor .. they claim that no changes have been done to their pdf construction process, but we are getting error message on trying to open. Model was made using Monarch 8.02. User has Moanarch 9.0 -- I have tried in 8.02 and 9 (different users) to open the file to no avail. Unfortunately I can not send the file as there is client info in the file.

Error Message: File xxx is not a valid pdf file. It will be opened as plain text.

Is there a known issue with newer Adobe versions and previous versions of Monarch -- I.e. 8.02 and 9.0??

Any help or direction appreciated!!

Tim Paul

RBC

• Problem with PDF
          Grant Perkins

Hi Tim,

No help yet I'm afraid but for what it's worth I created and downloaded a PDF file from one of our Government public access sites sites yesterday - all 50Mb and 17k 'pages' and Monarch (8 and 10 iirc) gives me the same message.

It's Govt. so I'm not sure its a good pdf. They don't seem to understand multiple columns, landscape mode (not used) and the concept of page numbers. But hey, they are sharing their information  ...

If I can dig out anything useful I'll share it. This report is not my top priority at the moment though. So it may be a while before I get to it.

Grant

• Problem with PDF
              TimT _

Have the same issue - can't open pdf files generated with Adobe 9.

I guess I'll either go back to old Adobe or maybe the newest Monarch.

Tim Taylor

• Problem with PDF
                  Olly Bond

Hello Tim, Tim, Grant,

I had a rogue PDF file the other day from our online bank statement service - but it was a simple matter to print to a new PDF using our default PDF printer driver (Amunyi) and then Monarch was fine. If the PDF opens in Acrobat Reader, and you can print to XPS, then you should be fine in Monarch v10 Pro, but this does require an extra step...

I'm looking for a good automated PDF-cleanup solution for the desktop - PDF Transformer from Abbyy is great, but requires you to do everything by hand. There's a 3 user "Corporate" version of the product which looks like it can do the job but it's hard to justify the extra $$$.

Any ideas out there?

Best wishes,

Olly

• Problem with PDF
                    Dirk Schulze

Have the same issue - can't open pdf files generated with Adobe 9.

I guess I'll either go back to old Adobe or maybe the newest Monarch.

Tim Taylor[/QUOTE]

I'm having this same problem:  I'm using Monarch Pro v9.01, the PDF files were created using Acrobat Distiller 9.0.0 (from an outside source) and I'm getting the "not a valid PDF file" error.  I've searched other threads and I'm not seeing any explanation or answer.

Is Acrobat Distiller 9.0.0 just too new for my version of Monarch to read?