3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Capturing Text in List Form

Matixsnow _

Here is an example of a text file that I want to capture in Monarch v9 using the requirements that follow below the text example.

Text example:

Checks:

-In

-Out

Cash:

-In

-Out

End text example

I want Monarch to capture the text (above) as follows (or something similar):

Checks: -In

Checks: -Out

Cash: -In

Cash: -Out

Is this possible with Monarch v9?  Please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate it!!!

-Jeff

• Capturing Text in List Form
          Data Kruncher

I was able to accomplish what you want to do as follows:

Trap the -In and -Out lines as detail records, so that you'll have 4 records. I used the - as trap. The field is InOut.

Using an Alpha trap, I added the Cash and Checks lines as appends. The field is CashChecks.

In the Table, add a calculated field CCInOut:

/LIST

CashChecks" "InOut[/code]

Create a summary. Use CashChecks as the first key field (which you need to hide), and CCInOut as the second key field. You don't need a measure field.

On the Display tab for CashChecks, set 1 blank line(s) after each key value change.

/LIST

That'll do it. Who said that summaries are only good for numbers?

Matixsnow _

Wow thanks for the quick response!  I wonder if there is another means of accomplishing this?  The reason being I have other lines in the text I need to extract as well, but this might work.  For example:

Text example:

Checks:

-In

-Out

Cash:

-In

-Out

Deposits: Cleared

Deposits: Uncleared

End Text

I think I can still make it work to capture everything to look as follows below:

Checks: -In

Checks: -Out

Cash: -In

Cash: -Out

Deposits: Cleared

Deposits: Uncleared

Olly Bond

Hello Jeff,

As the "-" trap won't select the Deposits lines as Detail, and so you won't see a line in the table for them, we'll have to try another tack.

Presuming you have Monarch v10 (if you don't, this should justify upgrading), then you can create a template that selects only the blank lines, make this an Append template, don't highlight any fields for it. Call this "BlankLineTemplate", say.

Then you can trap your detail line as with a NOT trap on "C" in the first column, and a non blank trap on the third column. This will select all the detail lines you need.

Trap your Checks and Cash as an Append as before, but use the v10 feature to turn off the Append on the appearance of the "BlankLineTemplate".

After that, you should be able to get the "Deposit" to appear using a calculated field or we can get fiddly and try to trap an Append for this on the same line as the Detail.

HTH,

Olly