2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by drobert _ RSS

Explanation of Extract() function

drobert _

Hi all. I have a little problem understanding why my extract function does not behave the way it is supposed to (or the way I expected it to).

The following is the function I am using which is used in the calculated character field defined as a length of 6 (Messages is the fields that is defined in my Append trap that contains the whole line):

Trim( Extract(( Messages )), "REF#" )[/SIZE][/code]

The function works fine when I have the following:

REF#    380                                                                            /code

The result is "380" as expected.

but does not work with the following:

REF#   1629 TERM ID 0819;      00001           CARD #    2                         /code

The result is "1629 T" which is not correct and obviously is picking up the next field.

If I add " " as the Ending point, nothing shows up for any scenario. I cannot use an ending value as the REF# can be almost anywhere on the line.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to use this function?:confused:

• Explanation of Extract() function
          Grant Perkins

Hi all. I have a little problem understanding why my extract function does not behave the way it is supposed to (or the way I expected it to).

The following is the function I am using which is used in the calculated character field defined as a length of 6 (Messages is the fields that is defined in my Append trap that contains the whole line):

Trim( Extract(( Messages )), "REF#" )[/SIZE][/code]

/quote

Surely ....

Trim( Extract( , "REF#" ))[/SIZE][/code]

??[/SIZE]

So Extract will take the "REF#" out of the picture, TRIM will remove leading spaces and then you will get the next 6 characters (per the field size.)[/SIZE]

Therefore that would be 3 digits followed by 3 spaces in your first example and 4 digits followed by one space and then the letter T in your second example.[/SIZE]

If you just want the digits you will need to LSPLIT as well.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

LSPLIT(/SIZE[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Trim( Extract( , "REF#" )),2," ",1)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]should do it.[/SIZE]

HTH,[/SIZE]

Grant[/SIZE]

ETA: In V10 using the intrim function with LSPLIT you could do something like:

LSPLIT(INTRIM(Messages),3," ",2)[/code]

to give the same result.

/SIZE

• Explanation of Extract() function
              drobert _

Surely ....

Trim( Extract( , "REF#" ))[/SIZE][/code]

??[/SIZE]

/quote

Oops, that what I meant...:o that's what happens when you type it in instead of cuting and pasting the formula.

So Extract will take the "REF#" out of the picture, TRIM will remove leading spaces and then you will get the next 6 characters (per the field size.)[/SIZE]

Therefore that would be 3 digits followed by 3 spaces in your first example and 4 digits followed by one space and then the letter T in your second example.[/SIZE]

If you just want the digits you will need to LSPLIT as well.[/SIZE]

LSPLIT(/SIZE[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Trim( Extract( , "REF#" )),2," ",1)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]should do it.[/SIZE]

/SIZE[/quote]

I guess I misunderstood its functionality... I thought that it functioned just like the split functions where one would give it a starting delimeter instead of a relative position. I see now that it acts more like a substr function. It all makes sense now!:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help Grant.