6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Joe Berry RSS

Project Export Sorting V10

jpaul19 _

How can you move an entry up 100+ places without moving up one at a time?

• Project Export Sorting V10
          Data Kruncher

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I take that you're referring to the right-click menu to re-sequence the defined exports within the Project Exports dialog?

Unfortunately no such mechanism currently exists. "Move to top" and "Move to bottom", at a minimum, would probably be good additions to the menu.

Wow, that's a lot of defined exports. I don't know that I've seen that done before, although I do recall it being mentioned at one of the user conferences.

Sorry that the news isn't better.

Olly Bond

Hi,

In v10, you might find that the export option to split a summary on the change in a key value is a useful way to reduce the number of exports you need to define.

This extends the options from "all filters", "all measures" - as ever, it depends on your data which is most appropriate - but the "split on key value" is especially powerful as you don't have to predefine the filter for data that you can't predict.

Best wishes,

Olly

jpaul19 _

I have the exports going to different Excel files.

Joe Berry

It can be done outside of Monarch.   Open the project file in an XML editor (I use Microsoft's free Notepad XML).  You can then drag and drop the exports as you wish.  Just to be safe I would copy the file before trying this approach.

I would like to see the ability to sort and drag and drop for exports.  I had a project with many Excel file exports to different department managers for their monthly revenue and expense reports.  It would have been great to be able to alphabetize the exports - expecially when a new manager took over.

Joe

joey

The Monarch models and projects are just XML files that CAN be edited in any XML editor or even notepad.  From time to time, I just edit these directly to get the desired behavior I want.  For example, once I created a user defined function in one model and wanted to move it to another model.  I did this by finding the XML that represented that function and moved it to another model.

A word of caution, make a backup before you try this.  This is an unsupported way of working with Monarch, and you can really mess up your model if you do something silly like put a  for every defined export.  You could find the one you want, select everything for that export including the closing and opening tag, cut, and paste the export in the location you want it.

Olly Bond

I support Joey's idea - I've tried it myself with filters - but would add a word of warning. Even the white space in the model can make Monarch a little sensitive, so I've suggest investing in a text editor with some version control in case you need to go back a step at any point.