6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Intrepid _ RSS

New to Monarch - problems trapping from pdf

Intrepid _

First things first, I've had Monarch Pro V8 for a total of about a week, and have completed the 17 lessons contained therein.  That being said, I've been given the task of trapping certain numeric values within a pdf file, and presenting a summary.

I can open the pdf report fine, and retain the alignments.  However, after I trap my information, my table reads null values for all but the final value.  The information I need to trap is located as follows where 0 is the extraneous values, and X is the needed value:

0     0     x

x     x     0

0     0     x

0     0     x

_________

0     0     x

What I've done, and tell me if I'm way off base, is I have created 5 templates, one for each line. After creating that model, I click on my table and for every field i have a "null" value except for the first value I trapped (very top, rightmost X, also the first template created).  I may have made a muddle of things trying to explain it, but hopefully it is enough...

• New to Monarch - problems trapping from pdf
          Grant Perkins

Hi Intrepid and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the pdf extraction is ok and your trapping issues would be the same if you had started with a text based fiel.

If you have 5 templates it means you are treating the 5/(6?) line blocks as single records with 1 detail line and 4 append lines. Is that a correct assumption?

My intuition says this would be unusual but not an impossible report layout. However each line would need a unique way of trapping it that did not clash with any of the other lines. Without a more comprehensive view of the report, either as a pdf sample linked from somewhere or as a text format sample (post PDF extraction) posted in here it is difficult to offer accurate guidance. If the records in the report can be grouped 5 lines at a time can you extract what you need in a single template?

Grant

Intrepid _

Thanks for your reply.  I'm pretty sure I can post an image of the file on here for help, but I need to make sure it doesn't have any sensitive information.  It is only for my training, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Intrepid _

Ok, it turns out I do not know how to post a link to this pdf.  Can anyone help me with finding a place I can upload it so as to post a link?

Data Kruncher

I haven't tried it myself, but [URL="http://www.keepandshare.com/htm/free_file_sharing.php"]this site[/URL] looks like it would do the job.

Intrepid _

Sorry about the wait, but before I figured out how to post the pdf, I figured out how to solve my problem.  The only value I was getting was my detail template.  The proceeding appends were getting nulls on the values I was attempting to trap.  Once I put the detail at the bottom, Total value, and used appends for the preceding values, everything worked beautifully.  Thank you for your response.  Your mention about the 1 detail and multiple appends invariably helped me to solve my problem.

Grant Perkins

Ok, it turns out I do not know how to post a link to this pdf. Can anyone help me with finding a place I can upload it so as to post a link?[/quote]

For the entire PDF we may want to deal with sharing the file via email privately.

However what we really need seems to be only the 'text' extracted from the pdf. Now you may be able to get at that and post it (or a section of it) directly into the forum by cutting and pasting from the appropriate screen in the Monarch process.

Alternatively use Monarch to grab the entire line of every line for the pdf extraction (no trap characters and a full width field should do it) and then  export that as a text file and treat it like as regular report.

If sharing the file quite publically is OK then Kruncher's suggestion or Rapidshare or similar would probably wrok fine.

HTH.

Grant