9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Address Block pulling blanks

dwilcox _

I'm working on an address block and I'm able to successfully trap the address blocks, they are highlighted correctly.  I highlight the first line of the address block and set it up as "Memo" field and click the radio button for "Blank field values" = 1 under the "End Field On" section of the Advanced tab.  But, when I go to view the table data it only shows the Country field as being populated with the following data:

"United States of America"

All the Customer Name and address lines, city, state, zip are blank. 

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? 

Here is a copy of my address blocks:

Example Addresses:

NAPA/RAYLOC - PAYSON

dba Rayloc         

P.O. Box 43146     

Atlanta, GA 30336

United States of America  

NAPA/RAYLOC - PAYSON    

dba Rayloc              

700 North 500 East      

P.O. Box 347            

PAYSON, UT 84651        

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

:confused:

• Address Block pulling blanks
          Grant Perkins

Hi dwilcox and welcome to the forum.

You don't mention setting up the output via the address block wizard bit is it safe to assume you did that? If so can you tell us what you set?

Grant

dwilcox _

Grant,

Thank you for your response.

Yes. I created the output.  Here's my process:

Selected Table view.

Selected Data, Address Blocks, then clicked NEW.

Accepted defaults, first 6 postal codes format with checks.

Type "Address" in the Name field.

Next, clicked "Add", to select the address block that was trapped.

Next, checked Address Line 1 ,2, 3 and City, Region, Postal Code, and

Country.(used default names for the Output Field names).

CLicked, Finish and OK.

/LIST

When I go and check the table view, all the output fields are blank except the City field which incorrectly show the country data(United States of America).

I'm sure this is something very simple that I'm overlooking....but what is it?

Dale

Data Kruncher

This is definitely unexpected behaviour for the address block given proper inputs.

What exactly are you using to trap the addresses Dale?

dwilcox _

This address block would look something like this:

Bill To: 123456

EUROPACIFIC PARTS INTL INC.

18071 FITCH AVE.          

Suite #100                

IRVINE, CA 92614          

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA  

I highlight only the first line of the address block. (EUROPACIFIC....)

This block is indented to the right by 8 spaces.

I put seven "Blank Trap" character in the first 7 spaces, then one "Non Blank Trap" character in the eighth position.

Now it has the entire address block hightlighted, but also the "Bill To:" line above is now highlighted.

To get rid of that line I put a ":" in the position located after "Bill To" and then I highlight the ":" and then reverse this character selection by clicking the "Toggle the not state of the selected trapped character".

Now it only highlights the address block.

Could this last step (Toggle the not state...) be creating a problem?

Thanks, Dale

dwilcox _

Here's a better view of the report I'm working with, to go with my repsonse above. 

Bill To: 120050                                                                               

NAPA/RAYLOC - PAYSON                                       

dba Rayloc                                                 

700 North 500 East                                         

P.O. Box 347                                               

PAYSON, UT 84651                                           

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA                                                                               

Date     Reference Type     Due Date           Amount      Amount O

-

-

-

-

-

-

/CODE

Data Kruncher

I'll venture a bit of a guess and say that you're using a single line for the template.

Instead, include as many rows as are required to include the largest address block, maybe six or seven lines, and replace the sample text in the template, then OK it.

How's that?

dwilcox _

:eek:Unbelievable, on page 75 of the Monarch V9 Manual, it says to highlight the [B]"First"[/B][/U] line of the address block to trap it and it show a picture of the screen(just trapping one line not the whole address block!):cool:

I thought it would be something simple, Thanks very much for your help oh-great Data Kruncher!:p

Grant Perkins

Here's a better view of the report I'm working with, to go with my repsonse above.

Bill To: 120050                                            

NAPA/RAYLOC - PAYSON                                       

dba Rayloc                                                 

700 North 500 East                                         

P.O. Box 347                                               

PAYSON, UT 84651                                           

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA                                   

Date     Reference Type     Due Date           Amount      Amount O

-

-

-

-

-

-

/code[/quote]

I can get this work with V9 using a field and and 'end on' property. However I wonder if your trap, which will likely need to be more generic than the one I used  (letter N in the first line) meant that you ended up with multiple records rather than a single field with multiple lines?

Addresses, and the formats that programmers have selected for their display, can often lead to compromises ...

Grant