3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

File transfer from AIX to Windows.

Steve Caiels

Hi,

I have a customer with a file transfer issue and it’s outside my Data Pump experience.

They have a Unix application running on AIX 5.3.0.0 on an IBM P550.  The output location is shared to a Windows platform using Samba.  So it’s a Unix location accessed y Windows.

When a small file is written, Windows sees it, Data Pump launches and all is good.  However, if the file is large, then it appears that Windows is unable to determine that the file is not yet complete. 

Data Pump starts the process as soon as the file appears.   Windows is not aware that the file is still in use. 

One thought was to create a Windows location accessible by Unix rather than a Unix location accessible by Windows.

Do you know if this is likely to be a solution, or if there is anything in Samba or on the Unix box that can preserve file locks?

Many thanks,

Steve.

• File transfer from AIX to Windows.
          Olly Bond

Hi Steve,

We've got AIX also, and looked at BCD's Spool Explorer but that's iSeries only, so we have to use the office-wide UDM secure file transfer system, which is a little inflexible. If you hear of anything that can help with this sort of thing, I'd be grateful for any details.

Best wishes,

Olly

Data Kruncher

In the '90s, I was one of the sys admins supporting two IBM boxes, a G30 and an rs250, each running AIX 4.1, IIRC, and we used Samba with the Windows '95 network. But I don't recall having run into these sorts of issues. I doubt that our group was using particularly large files, though.

Is there anything useful [URL="http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html"]here[/URL]? I'm sure that what you want to accomplish can be done Steve. I remember being quite impressed with Samba. But since it's be at least 10 years since I worked with Samba, I'm afraid that I don't have specific knowledge for you at the moment.

Good luck with it.

Gareth Horton

Steve,

What version of MDP is this?

We did make some significant changes in MDP 9 to help this situation by strengthening the existing file existence criteria when evaluating inputs. 

We now attempt to obtain an exclusive read lock on the file before considering it “in existence”. 

The existing retry mechanism should be used to cope with these scenarios, by setting a retry on the process, say every minute for 20 minutes.

Gareth

Hi,

I have a customer with a file transfer issue and it’s outside my Data Pump experience.

They have a Unix application running on AIX 5.3.0.0 on an IBM P550.  The output location is shared to a Windows platform using Samba.  So it’s a Unix location accessed y Windows.

When a small file is written, Windows sees it, Data Pump launches and all is good.  However, if the file is large, then it appears that Windows is unable to determine that the file is not yet complete. 

Data Pump starts the process as soon as the file appears.   Windows is not aware that the file is still in use. 

One thought was to create a Windows location accessible by Unix rather than a Unix location accessible by Windows.

Do you know if this is likely to be a solution, or if there is anything in Samba or on the Unix box that can preserve file locks?

Many thanks,

Steve.[/QUOTE]