2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by Steve Caiels RSS

Address Blocks

willmadd _

I am new to Monarch v10 and have a question. I had no trouble extracting the detail information but the address block is prooving troublesome. Here is a sample of the data below that repaeats throughout the report. There are a number of cutomers under each division and as would be expected the address blocks are sometimes 1-2 lines longer. Each customer will have at least one detail item which I have had no problem extracting.

DIVISION 14 - XXXXXXXX                                                                               

XXXXXX HOSXXXX                                            

210 W WXXXXX                                               

CXXXXX                IL XXXX                                                                               

001XXX  26  W110XXXX  PAPER XXX-XXXX XXXXXX   

I have been reading through the learning guide which is very well done but the problem is that the section on extracting address blocks assumes that there is the word customer that proceeds every customer, thus making it very easy to trap the address blocks. I cannot trap the address blocks alone as there a few other lines dispersed through the report that also get selected, the division title above, vendor information near the top of every page, etc. After trapping the complete address blocks, along with a few extraneous lines per page I hit ok so I can get to the address block feature. Even though the multiple address lines have been selected by the trap only the last line appears in the table and when I go through it I can select town and zip but there is no option for state.

Any help here would be appreciated.

• Address Blocks
          Grant Perkins

Hello Willmadd and welcome to the forum.

The key here is to find a way to trap, as close as possible, just the lines of the report that contain the address details. There may be something else less obvious than the example in the learning guide but just as effective in NOT identifying the District above and the other information below.

You may also be able to use something like a Page header template to make the 'District' information 'invisible' for the part of the process that digs out addresses and details in general.

You might also find that the line(s) below and address often have more text than is allowed by the address width - so any characters there mean it is not an address line. Another idea is identifying a way of filtering out wrong lines before Address procesing if they cannot be excluded by a trap mechanism.

Unfortuenatly these things are usually VERY sensitive to the way the report presents AND address processing as prone to so many data issues that it is often less than 100% successful. BUT, despite that, the amount of work saved can be huge so it is worth persevering with it.

Do these observations help start you off in a useful direction?

Let us know how you get on.

Grant

• Address Blocks
              Steve Caiels

Hi Wilmadd,

How do the other addresses look? Do you always have the “001XXX 26 W110....”line after each address, and is there a consistent pattern to the product line?

XXXXXX HOSXXXX

210 W WXXXXX

CXXXXX IL XXXX

001XXX 26 W110XXXX PAPER XXX-XXXX XXXXXX

XXXXXX HOSYYYY

999 The Main Road

ORLANDO FL 123456

999YYY 99 W110XXXX PAPER XXX-XXXX XXXXXX

/quote

If so, you could create a multi line sample from the top of the address down to the product line and trap on line 5 on three numerics and three alphas for example. Then highlight the first line of the address and use blank field values on the advanced tab.

You may need to adjust this if you have variable number of lines in the address or many product lines, but it should work in principle.

If you can post a larger sample of the report, we can probably come up with a specific suggestion.

Regards,

Steve.