19 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by jag11300 _ RSS

V10--unable to open 'report'

fatboy02 _

I recently upgraded to V10 pro and the transition was smooth but tonight I fnd myself with a peculiar problem.  I start Monarch and then select 'open report' and the normal dialog box where I select my report location opens BUT it immediately disappears.  Monarch then locks upmenu buttons at the top are grey and unresponsive (as wll as the close program X).  If I attempt to close via ctrl-alt-delete I receive a pop up indicating 'The system cannot end this program because it is waiting on a respone from you'.  There are no other selection windows open so I am a bit puzzledany suggestions?  I can select 'open database' and I get to the select a data source window but once I select 'browse', the same thing happens. . .

A reboot did not help.

• V10--unable to open 'report'
          Grant Perkins

I'm not totally sure from your description whether your V10 installation was originally working but now has a problem or whether the upgrade seemed to work OK but in fact does not work now you have tried to use it.

I assume you have re-booted a second time and tried again - just in case ...

Is your .NET V3 installation up to the latest specification required?

If it was working, has now failed and a re-boot does not get you anywhere, have there been any other updates to you PC (I'm thinking Windows here, but maybe also networking or printer additions/changes) since the last time everything worked?

Something of a process of elimination I'm afraid but let's see where it takes us.

I would also check with Technical Support. There can be so many variable machine configurations these days that publishing 'known technical issues' is likely to be counter productive and confusing. However previously identified situations may still provide valid solutions when correctly matched to system configs.

Hope this helps in some way as a start.

Grant

fatboy02 _

Yes, I filled out the online report and sent it to technical support.  Also, my apologies for being a bit unclear in my original posting but, yes, V10 was working flawlessly since day 1 of the install (until yesterday).  I had to upgrade .net when I performed the initial upgrade installation of V10. The only updates I know of (windows) were last week but it still worked fine after that.  I have not made any hardware or other changes since the install so I suppose I will wait and see what advice or suggestions has to offer.

Thanks

Rob

Grant Perkins

Hi Rob,

Certainly sounds strange.

I have known applications open up a user response box BEHIND rather than on top of a current screen before now and therefore seemingly exhibit the same effect. Could this, or similar, be the case here?

Or even more obscure I had a couple of situations where applications decided the default 'last size and position' of a window on opening the application was a 1 pixel wide box somewhere on the edge of the screen - or even off the screen.

It is not unheard of for registry entries to become 'adjusted' in this way, though I have never worked out how or why as a logical reason rather than some random update writing event.

Again it sounds simple but would be worth checking 'just' in case.

Sometimes using a windows command to cascade (or whatever) open windows maximised can work to bring them back. I guess dual and virtual monitor settings might also have interesting effects.

Just throwing some basic ideas around still I'm afraid. Things to eliminate.

Grant

fatboy02 _

Well, not sure what happened but I tried Monarch on a couple of occasions today and it had the same problem.  After I came home I read Grant's post and decided I would try again and see if I could find the missing window but, much to my surprise, it started working normally again!  Thanks for the suggestions. . .

Grant Perkins

Well, not sure what happened but I tried Monarch on a couple of occasions today and it had the same problem. After I came home I read Grant's post and decided I would try again and see if I could find the missing window but, much to my surprise, it started working normally again! Thanks for the suggestions. . .[/quote]

Umm. Err. Ah. Yes, well, your are very welcome ...

I guess if it happens again ... just ignore it for a couple of days and will come out of its sulk?

Grant

fatboy02 _

Well, that was short lived.  It's back to the disappearing act again :-(.  Last night I was hooked up to an external monitor and it was working and today I am only on the laptop--almost like it is opening on the other monitor (which isn't there).  LOL

Grant Perkins

Well, that was short lived. It's back to the disappearing act again :-(. Last night I was hooked up to an external monitor and it was working and today I am only on the laptop--almost like it is opening on the other monitor (which isn't there). LOL[/quote]

Sounds like a strong clue to me.

What is the difference in resolution between the monitors? When it was working was the screen display exactly the same as you normally see on the notebook alone?

Which version of Windows are you using?

What facilities does your graphics card offer?

Grant

fatboy02 _

At home I am running dual Viewsonic 23" monitors at 1920x1200 via a docking station (laptop closed). 

My laptop is an HP 8710W with a 17" display, also at 1920x1200.  Running XP pro with Nvidia Quadro FX 1600M video card.  I am on the road today and do not hve access to another display but I will see what happens via the dual monitor setup when I return home this evening. . . Thanks again.

fatboy02 _

Well, this is definitely irritating.  I uninstalled and reverted back to V9 and it works fine.  I resinstalled the upgrade and, once again, I am rewarded with the disappearing window. . .

Another weird thing is outside of this problem Monarch mostly works fine.  If I right click on a file and select 'open with Monarch' the report file will open fine--I can create a new model, filter, sort, etc but anything that involves the 'dialog box' for the file location causes everything to lock up.  Meaning I cannot save the model or export outside of the default location. . .

Joe Berry

Is the Monarch process running in Task Manager?  Run Monarch with the /R switch and see if that changes anything.  In your Monarch shortcut does changing the Properties, Shortcut tab to run Maximized or Normal - whichever it is not - change anything. 

But after downgrading to v9 then loading v10, I don't think these "shots in the dark" will change anything. 

Joe Berry

fatboy02 _

Well, you guys are probably thinking I am a quack by now but I am back in the office and it is working again.  I am using my laptop display and an external monitor (both 1920 x 1200).  When I first tried to 'open report' the dialog box popped up on the opposite display so I suspect that this may have had something to do with it.  Anyways, after several restarts, etc it is still working so I am hopeful that is continues to do so.  Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

fatboy02 _

Well, here is my latest update.  At home, running 2 external monitors via my docking station I have the problem as previously described.  At work, using 1 external display along with the laptop display evrything works great.  Using laptop by itself I am back to my original problem. . . .

Grant Perkins

So is the missing window appearing on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 when using the Laptop screen and single external monitor at work?

Are all the monitors the same resolution as used?

I don't have the luxury of a multi-monitor system and therefore have no opportunity to play with this ...

Grant

Olly Bond

I've got two monitors here and fortunately, so far, Monarch v9 Pro is well behaved when it comes to positioning dialogs.

Other applications aren't always so - but if there's a hidden active dialog box that is on a phantom monitor, you might be able to bring it back into play by pressing ALT & Space, them M, then using the arrow keys to move it around.

I'm using the nVidia Utility to manage the display - perhaps something like that might help also?

Best wishes,

Olly

fatboy02 _

Well, here's my latest update.  I tried OllyInMunich's suggestion and, although it did not fix my problem, it did change things a littleMonarch was no longer 'locked up'I could close it via the 'X' or move it to the other monitor (but I still could not locate the file dialog box). 

Now, at work I noticed that I open Monarch on my laptop display (primary) and when I choose 'open report' the dialog box briefly flashes on the laptop display but immediately moves and opens on the external monitor (secondary)--which is to the right of my laptop.

At home, I have 2 identical displays but the right one was set as the primary.  Whenever I would select 'open report', the dialog box would flash briefly and dissapear.  Last night I switched my displays and made the left monitor the primary and the right one my secondary.  Now when I select open report it flashes on the primary and immediately moves to the secondary display (but at least I can find it!).

While both of these are good news, I am still plagued by the fact that if I am stuck with laptop only, the diaglog box still vanishes (I presume it is 'jumping' to the secondary monitor which is not there. . . .

Gareth Horton

Hi,

I think I have found the problem.  This is due to a much user requested feature to ensure that we save all the positioning and sizing of dialogs from session to session in Monarch.

When you move dialogs around and resize them, it stores all this information in the user portion of the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch Pro\User Interface

Note that if you have Monarch Standard it will be here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch\User Interface

The particular registry value in question is called FileDialogInfo.

So what is happening is that when you are your multi-monitor rig, it stores this information, with the positioning being in "thin air" so to speak, when you go back to a single monitor config.

You can solve this and all dialog positioning issues by simply deleting the User Interface section of the Monarch registry settings.  Alternatively, you could just delete the FileDialogInfo key.  Monarch will not be concerned by this and will happily recreate them next time.

I think a fix for this multi-monitor issue will be very difficult without removing the functionality of saving dialog positioning and sizing settings entirely.

Gareth

Well, here's my latest update.  I tried OllyInMunich's suggestion and, although it did not fix my problem, it did change things a littleMonarch was no longer 'locked up'I could close it via the 'X' or move it to the other monitor (but I still could not locate the file dialog box). 

Now, at work I noticed that I open Monarch on my laptop display (primary) and when I choose 'open report' the dialog box briefly flashes on the laptop display but immediately moves and opens on the external monitor (secondary)--which is to the right of my laptop.

At home, I have 2 identical displays but the right one was set as the primary.  Whenever I would select 'open report', the dialog box would flash briefly and dissapear.  Last night I switched my displays and made the left monitor the primary and the right one my secondary.  Now when I select open report it flashes on the primary and immediately moves to the secondary display (but at least I can find it!).

While both of these are good news, I am still plagued by the fact that if I am stuck with laptop only, the diaglog box still vanishes (I presume it is 'jumping' to the secondary monitor which is not there. . . .[/QUOTE]