2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:04 AM by RalphB _ RSS

Excel Import problem

RalphB _

I'm trying to open an excel file in Monarch but am having problems getting the right field properties in Monarch.

First off, there are appox 8 header rows that may contain text and below that is the data I want.  In the first column are dates that I need but Monarch 10Pro thinks they are all text because in the first row of that column it has text.  I also have a column that has amounts in it but the same problem, Monarch thinks it is text also. I cannot change the field properties when I go to the Field list screen.  In Monarch 8, it correctly interpreted those columns as either date or numeric.

I was wondering if there is some setting in v10 that I'm missing or has anyone else experienced this problem?

OS- XP Pro

Office 2003

.Net 3.5 installed

• Excel Import problem
          Data Kruncher

[CODE]

Heading 1    Heading 2   

Heading 1    Heading 2   

Heading 1    Heading 2   

Heading 1    Heading 2    Heading 3

4/10/2009    1            Heading 1

4/11/2009    2            Heading 2

4/12/2009    3            Heading 3

4/13/2009    4            Heading 4

4/14/2009    5            Heading 5

4/15/2009    6            Heading 6

4/16/2009    7            Heading 7

4/17/2009    8            Heading 8

4/18/2009    9            Heading 9

4/19/2009    10           Heading 10

4/20/2009    11           Heading 11

4/21/2009    12           Heading 12

/CODE

Some quick test data displays exactly what you've described Ralph: it all comes in as Character, and there's no changing it.

The only solution was to define a named range for the data table which ignored the first three rows, and then select the range to import instead of the entire sheet. Then Monarch recognized Date/Time, Numeric and Character fields.

Perhaps v10's Excel import engine could benefit from a row offset feature as is available when importing CSV files (Lines to skip at start)?

/FONT

• Excel Import problem
              RalphB _

Thanks Sandy for your trouble.  I can't really define a named range as we receive this from a third party and to get them to change something is next to impossible.

Why was it that under Monarch 8 & 9 it would recognize the underlying data correctly but not in V10 or at least have the ability to change the field's property?

Maybe Monarch will incorporate this in a patch or in the next release.  Gareth????