12 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Bob Yarnall RSS

V10 and PDF problems

Bob Yarnall

Monarch version 10 pro will not open ANY PDF file, not even files created by monarch.  I have tried to open files created by various versions of Adobe Acrobat, Office 2007, Kronos, and even files created by Monarch and when I try to open the file it says the file is not a valid PDF file and opens it as plain text which obviously is useless.  These are not offbeat files with graphics or complex data, just simple text files.  These are files I have been using since 2005 with version 8 without any trouble at all.

I have left two messages with tech support but I have not gotten any response.

Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

• V10 and PDF problems
          Grant Perkins

Bob,

Unless it's a Windows related glitch of some sort (which I have seen from time to time with PDFs - usually cleared by re-booting the PC) the only other 'fit' to the problem would be trying to use Monarch Standard to open the file. I wonder of the Monarch installation/registry entiries/licence information may have a problem?

Is this a recent upgrade to V10?

Grant

• V10 and PDF problems
              Bob Yarnall

This is an upgrade from V8.  Standard version does not do PDF files (at least V8 didn’t which is why I got the Pro version.)

Looked all through the registry and couldn’t find anything obvious.

Reboot hasn’t helped.  Install/repair has not helped.

• V10 and PDF problems
                  Grant Perkins

Standard not doing PDF is why I mentioned it. Was your V8 also a Pro version?

I have all sorts of problems just with the browser embeded PDF reader on one system, reading PDFs. It works for page one but will crash, sometimes, going for page 2. Nor so far had a problem with V10  - though to be fair I don't have it installed on THAT machine.

As background, have you got all of the V10 requirements and environment recommendations installed - .NET 3 for example?

I assume other applications can open the PDFs Ok and it's not a fundamental 'installation' type problem generated by installation or maintenance activity?

Just thinking aloud to see if the thoughts prompt any ideas really ...

Grant

• V10 and PDF problems
                      Bob Yarnall

Yes I had V8 Pro.  I got it specifically because our timekeeping software (Kronos) is now web based and produces PDF reports instead of straight text files.

Everything else works just fine with PFD files.  I have Acrobat 8 Pro but even files made with that won’t open in Monarch.

I had to install .NET 3 before I could even proceed with install of Monarch.

No other apps installed since Monarch.  V10 has not worked from the very first attempt.

Tried to install V10 on another box but since it is an upgrade it would not install since no other version was available.  I’m the only one at my company using Monarch.

• V10 and PDF problems
                          mamadure _

I am having the same problem with V10.  Do you have any resolution on the issue?  If so, would you mind sharing?

• V10 and PDF problems
                              Bob Yarnall

I am currently working with Datawatch on a solution.  So far no success in getting it to work.

• V10 and PDF problems
                                  Bob Yarnall

I am still waiting for Datawatch to come up with a solution for this problem.

I have discovered that Projects will still work as long as the associated Model file has the pdf_profile tag in the Input section.  In order to be able to use new PDF reports, I copy a working Project and Model then modify the xmod file by using Microsoft's XML Notepad (see link below).  If you are comfortable with XML then this is an easy solution but still far from acceptable for the long term.  If you don’t understand XML then you are probably better off not messing with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en[/url]

• V10 and PDF problems
                                      Bob Yarnall

Datawatch tells me that an update (release 10.01) is in the final stages of development and QA and is scheduled for release the week of May 11.  This issue with PDF files is addressed in the patch.

• V10 and PDF problems
                                          Bob Yarnall

Datawatch had promised a fix for this the week of May 11.  There is no fix posted yet.  Anyone have experience on their timeliness of providing promised fixes?

• V10 and PDF problems
                                              treed _

I actually still have the problem with a few PDF files that open fine with Adobe Reader.  I'm running 10.01.

Datawatch had promised a fix for this the week of May 11.  There is no fix posted yet.  Anyone have experience on their timeliness of providing promised fixes?[/QUOTE]

• V10 and PDF problems
                                                  Olly Bond

Hello Treed,

I'm working with both v10.01 and v9 - both Pro - and would be happy to have a look. Feel free to email me your PDF, along with the model you've built for it, and the project (xprj) file for the job if you have one.

Checking the help in Monarch v9 it's not explicitly clear whether the PDF import settings are stored in the registry or the project or the model. I would expect them to be in the project file.

HTH,

Olly

• V10 and PDF problems
                                                      Bob Yarnall

Yesterday my machine was upgraded Windows XP Pro SP3 in order to load a new application.  As I was trying various applications to see if it caused any new problems I discovered that it fixed the problems I was having with PDFs in Monarch V10.  The box clearly states that SP2 is the version level of Windows XP needed but I could never get it to work even with the Datawatch patch released this summer.