4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by RalphB _ RSS

Forcing a project to lookup a report

Tom Strachan

Hello,

I'm on V10 now - very nice!

I have a nagging problem (it's not new to V10); hopefully someone has a solution... 

I have a project that uses a report, but the name of the report changes each time I need to run the project.  Since the project "remembers" the report that was used, it always loads the wrong report - this yields incorrect results of course - this is potentially very dangerous.

My workaround has been to complete the project, then delete the original source report.  When Monarch opens the project it can't find the report, so a dialog box opens - this allows me to search for the correct report.  This works, but if I need to update the model/project I have to go through the workaround again.  That's a pain.

There must be a better way to force the project to always lookup a report - my solution would be to put a check box for "forcing the lookup of the report" on the "Project and Model Information" dialog box.

Is there a solution that's better than my workaround?

Thanks!

Tom

• Forcing a project to lookup a report
          Grant Perkins

Tom,

Have you considered using Data Pump?

Grant

Tom Strachan

Thanks, my company does use the Pump as well.  I'm not sure how that would help though, since I would still have to specify the file name, right?

The reports I'm processing are purely ad-hoc; no real sense of timing so the pump couldn't be triggered when necessary (it's an "IT" function to manage the pump, I've been waiting two months for a minor change to a pump's model - a programmer has to do it - ugh).

Grant Perkins

I was thinking of a watched folder situation so the name would be less significant.

You can override the name of a report to open using a script so a script that asks for a name would work I guess, or VB code.  Totally random names may represent a bit more of a challenge than incrementally named files.

Another option would be to have a fixed name in the project and rename/copy the incoming fiel to that name each time the project is run.

Just throwing some ideas in the air - it's not something I deal with much.

Kruncher, Nick or one or two of the other guys may well have something for it.

HTH.

Grant

RalphB _

Tom,

I have a similar problem because our reports are put out in a different directory each day by date or the file name has the date in it.  Because of this, I rarely use projects.  What I do is have a vb script that selects the report by the date I need and works great.  I run approx. 30 scripts each morning.

The other solution is what Grant suggests and that is to use DataPump.

Maybe Monarch will consider something like this in the next release.  Hint, Hint