4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by MonUserCJ _ RSS

Is there a limit to how many PDFs can be open as reports at once?

MonUserCJ _

Hello all,

I am trying to investigate the viability of extracting data from perhaps a thousand Word files. My plan is to convert them to PDFs by using PDFCreator, and then open batches of PDF in Monarch to extract the data from them (they are all in a similar format).

The key to whether or not this is feasible for me to do is whether or not it can be done relatively quickly. Ideally, I'd like to open at least 100 PDFs in Monarch at a time. I have 2 gigs of RAM on my computer.

I was wondering: is there any explicitly specified limit to how many PDF files Monarch can have open at once? If there isn't, how could I estimate how many PDFs I could open in Monarch at once? Should I try to estimate the size of the PDFs compared to the size of the RAM of the computer, or is there some other metric I should use? I would appreciate any help anyone has on this.

• Is there a limit to how many PDFs can be open as reports at once?
          Grant Perkins

The 'Specification' section of the Help file indicates that Monarch can support up to 1024 'report' files open at the same time. This may or may not encompass a PDF as a 'report'. (V10 help but I think V9 is no different.)

However I think guesstimating performance is something I will duck. (How long is a piece of string ? )

I'm not sure I would take 'similar' Word files through PDF and expect to get consistent results from a Monarch model. You might. Or you might not.

At a guess you might be better checking out the potential from XPS formats but you will need Monarch V10 and MS Office 2007 as far as I know. If neither of those are likely to be available to you then PDF, using a good and consistent PDF writer, may be the only option if a plain text conversion does not give what you need.

HTH.

Grant

MonUserCJ _

Thanks for your reply. I do have Microsoft Office 2007 and Monarch Pro V10, so I guess using XPS is an option. What is the advantage of XPS over PDF? Is it that XPS documents are more likely to be imported into Monarch in a standardized format? I know Monarch applies some sort of transformation to PDFs, but I figure if it applies the same one to all the documents, then if the documents are in a somewhat standardized format, it should work.

Or is it a performance issue? If Word generates XPS documents faster than printing to a PDF printer, then that would also be good.

Also, what's a goos? I tried looking it up on Google, but the results I got seem unrelated to Monarch.

Thanks.

Grant Perkins

Or is it a performance issue? If Word generates XPS documents faster than printing to a PDF printer, then that would also be good.[/quote]

It could be quicker but I think the primary benefit, if any, could be that it is a new standard (so not plagued by large numbers of 'writers' generated over several years of development of both code and standards. And it's free to use so unlikely to be hacked about randomly over time.

Since the file, xps or pdf, is merely an intermediary in the process whichever is the easiest to use is likely the best one to choose. Try it and see what you think.

Also, what's a goos? I tried looking it up on Google, but the results I got seem unrelated to Monarch.

Thanks.[/quote]

Err, typo. 'good'. Corrected.

HTH,

Grant