10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by crazzi _ RSS

Trapping Issue

crazzi _

I have a text report that when building my template I am using the info from the amount column to trap since it is the only field that has data in every line but there is a Total line that is being incorporated which is not needed. I need to use the function to copy value from previous record since data is missing so it is filling in the info from previous line for the Report Total Amount. Is there anything that I can do to eliminate the report total line from being picked up in the template???

Thanks

Cindy

DATE 02/02/09                                                                               

DAILY CASH RECEIPTS REPORT FOR XXXX RESP CD IN J,S,Z                                                                               

F         PTNUM   PT NAME                    P  F  R  DATE         TCODE   DESCRIPTION                         AMOUNT   PLN 

I                                            T  C  C                                                                               

0   999999999999  Help ,Harry                R  R  J  02/02/09     151605  OP MANUAL ADJ - MANAGED CARE        123.35  R62  

555555555555  HELPS ,PATRICIA            R  R  J  02/02/09     500173  UNAUTHORIZED SERVICE               -645.15  Q70  

222222222222  SNOWMAN ,PATRICIA         R  B  J  02/02/09     151001  OP MANUAL ADJ - MEDICARE          -7925.65  M64  

444444444444  HORTON ,SEESAWHO            R  R  J  02/02/09     151506  OP MANUAL ADJ - BLUE CROSS          135.72  Q68  

2       88888888 KITEMAN ,DANIELLE          S  T  J  02/02/09       9761  RPM - BALANCE TRANSFER             1054.00  V07  

91090  I/P BALANCE TRANSFER              -1054.00  V07  

9761  RPM - BALANCE TRANSFER            -1054.00  V07  

91090  I/P BALANCE TRANSFER               1054.00  V07  

22222222  WHATS ,FRANK               S  R  J  02/02/09     150607  IP MANUAL ADJ - MANAGED CARE         99.68  V16                                                                               

-199.36  V16  

33333333  SNURKSSSSS ,RICHARD        S  R  J  02/02/09     150607  IP MANUAL ADJ - MANAGED CARE         82.08  V02  

77777777  STOMACHSS ,ANNAMAE         S  T  J  02/02/09     150607  IP MANUAL ADJ - MANAGED CARE        340.00  R04  

44444444  CROWSFEET ,RUTH           S  B  J  01/29/09      24208  POS CASH I-PAY                    -1000.00       

DATE 02/02/09 TIME 04:43 A.M. PAGE    4 REPORT *$PXCSIR                                                                               

DAILY CASH RECEIPTS REPORT FOR XXXXXX RESP CD IN J,S,Z                                                                               

F         PTNUM   PT NAME                    P  F  R  DATE         TCODE   DESCRIPTION                         AMOUNT   PLN 

GRAND TOTALS                                                                               

CNT:             44                                                                               

SUM:                                                                                -10171.30       

/CODE

• Trapping Issue
          Nick Osdale-Popa

Include the word SUM: on that line in your traps. Then just filter out those lines in the table.

• Trapping Issue
              Grant Perkins

I think I would go with Nick's suggestion - it's a well tested approach.

You could also consider the NOT trap - so for example Not S in the first position of the line.

See "Using the NOT trap" in the help file.

Be careful - it's a character by character trap not a 'whole word' interpretation. Looks like it will work for your report though.

It's worth trying it out for future reference even if you choose not to use it here.

HTH.

Grant

• Trapping Issue
                  crazzi _

Thank you...the NOT trap did work for this report since SUM is only in there once. Have a good one....

Cindy

• Trapping Issue
                      crazzi _

I've come across another issue with this new report that I can't seem to resolve. When this report is run if the information is duplicated to the next line it is left blank which I easily fixed with the copy from previous record option. This issue also resides within the Amount column and since my trap uses this information I can't seem to figure out to get this line of data to incorporate into the table. If I remove the trap on the $$ amount and use the information in the column with Plan info (ie:B41) there are transaction lines that don't have that data but $$ which then gets missed.

88888888  HELPS ,JOSEPH P            S  P  J  01/08/09                          15099  IP BC INDEM PAYMENT CY                                    -1207.12  B41

9761  RPM - BALANCE TRANSFER                                   -1207.12  B41

1207.12  B20

41                                                                                -1207.12  B20[/CODE]

Each transaction is one line starting with account number but I put the $$ in a row so it could be seen.

Thanks

Cindy

• Trapping Issue
                          Grant Perkins

Cindy,

Is the report format as per the posting or is it mangled in some way? Looks like it should be similar to the first report posting but it isn't.

Without knowing the answer to that I am struggling to fully visualise the problem. But I think it might involve only selecting the partial lines with values (as per you $$ trap) as detail and dealing with everything else to left of those lines as appends (rather than fill from previous record).

Or maybe the detail is all columns from TCODE to the right (in-fill for blanks OK if needed?) and Append everything left of TCODE.If you see what I mean.

Does this help?

Grant

• Trapping Issue
                              crazzi _

You're correct...the report did skew when I tried to line up the last column of the report. I'll try it again

0      112382023  ADAMS-SATURDAY ,SILLY      E  T  J  02/04/09    1025030  BLUE CROSS PAYMENT                 -401.00  R62  

99990129  BAL XFR DED/CO PAY         VT       -15.00  R62  

112417985  RICHMONEYS ,HAPPY          E  T  J  02/04/09   99990129  BAL XFR DED/CO PAY         VT        58.00  R62  

1025030  BLUE CROSS PAYMENT                 -358.00  R62  

99990129  BAL XFR DED/CO PAY         VT       -58.00  R62  

112562533  HAAAAA ,LOOOOOO            E  T  J  02/04/09    1025030  BLUE CROSS PAYMENT                 -316.00  R62  

99990129  BAL XFR DED/CO PAY         VT      -100.00  R62                                                                               

100.00  A73  

02/09/09       9761  RPM - BALANCE TRANSFER              100.00  A73                                                                               

-100.00  A73  

112638150  DECODES ,LYYYY             F  L  J  02/02/09    1025089  MA RA 32 OUT-PT                        .00  W65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

65                                                                               

21.50  W65  

112664776  CUTHSSSSSSS ,RRRR          R  B  J  02/09/09     777136  PENN CARE REIMB (EXP)               -64.08  B85  

/CODE

for the column of PLN there are 15 rows with only the 65 and this is the issue I'm having trying to trap because the $$ is the same for all rows but haven't figured how to get even if I try your suggestion. There are also rows where there isn't any information in the PLN column to try and use that as a trap.

Thanks

Cindy

• Trapping Issue
                                  Grant Perkins

Hmm.

Nothing else in those rows? In which case what purpose do they serve?

Is it safe to assume all the lines, if fully populated in the database form which the report is extracted, would look like this?

F  L  J  02/02/09    1025089  MA RA 32 OUT-PT                        .00  W65[/code]

If that IS the case then my initial reaction is that the 2 character columns for "65" under the PLN column has to be your detail record. Each section to the LEFT of that is, potentially, an Append template candidate.

So working back towards the left, the first append would be the amount and the alpha code before the "65" (W, R, B or A in the example).

Then then next append would cover TCODE, Description and whatever the "VT" column is.

Then finally (I think, based on the sample) the next append level would the P F R codes and the date.

Now, if you can confidently replace any of this with a 'Copy from previous record' that would be fine but I think I would go with Appends anyway for better clarity and traceability since this particualt report format seem to have a lot of voids leaving white space and looks a little worrisome to me because of that.

How you can successfully trap the details lines is another question - or rather how you trap the lines is obvious but how you ignore other lines that should not be details is potentially more challenging! Also what to do about lines that have a value but no PLN code.

Another approach for the '65's would be to treat those 2 character positions as a multiline field and capture just one line  by $$ value - the first one - and in that last column you would collect "65" as many times as it occurred until the next detail line. Not sure what you would do with it after that since the purpose of the lines is unclear to me at this stage.

What can you tell us?

HTH.

Grant

• Trapping Issue
                                      crazzi _

This is a cash, adjustment and transfer report received from a client in which I need to split the transactions out in order to add to an Access database as separate transactions into a table. Since the report doesn't incorporate duplicate info for a patient then the row information is blank until data is different except the PLN column. I can't see the common thread that explains why this is and I can't incoporate the info from the previous line for this column. I'm trying to balance the original report to the excel spreadsheet that I'm trying to create in Monarch and have determined that it is the amount that is left blank due to the data being the same as the previous row. I hope this makes sense but if not I'll find a small report and include the whole thing if you would like.

Thanks

Cindy

• Trapping Issue
                                          Grant Perkins

Cindy,

What concerns me a little is that the report has a number of lines that present little evidence that they are more than a programming glitch (the lines with nothing but 65 on them) but will be interpreted, if the full line coding 'fill' is applied, to look like

112638150  DECODES ,LYYYY             F  L  J  02/02/09    1025089  MA RA 32 OUT-PT                        .00  W65

112638150  DECODES ,LYYYY             F  L  J  02/02/09    1025089  MA RA 32 OUT-PT                      21.50  W65  

112664776  CUTHSSSSSSS ,RRRR          R  B  J  02/09/09     777136  PENN CARE REIMB (EXP)               -64.08  B85

Etc.

/code

Now this may be correct but seems a little odd since there are several lines of assumed  fields values but no fiscal value. I'm not sure I have this right since you wrote "I can't see the common thread that explains why this is and[B] I can't incoporate the info from the previous line for this column[/B].", and I'm not sure if you meant you have not been able to do it or whether you are not allowed to do due to data handling rules.

However, if that is the way it is then the "65" code looks like it is your detail template. The rest will be appends as I mentioned above. Appends are likely to be safer than in-fills from a previous record in this case.

For lines that have a $$ value but no "65" PLN code a different trap is required. (I'm think here of lines like that for "Ruth Crowsfeet" in the report originally posted and assuming that you may find lines lke that that need extracting.)

It MAY be possible (assuming that the PLN codes you need to trap are always numeric) to use something like a NUMERIC OR trap with one part omn the value and the other on the PLN code so that if either are numeric the line will be picked.

If that does not work at all or is not reliable I suspect you will need to look at 2 separate extractions and then re-combine the results at some point, possibly in Excel.

HTH.

Grant

• Trapping Issue
                                              crazzi _

Thank you Grant....I was able to use the NUMERIC OR trap and I tested on various reports and was able to balance. It's nice to be able to learn something new and that it turned out to be something simple after over thinking the process.

Have a good one...:)

Cindy