8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Monarch won't start

Francisco Bricio

When I double click on the Monarch icon to run it, the hour glass comes up indicating the system is working, then the hour glass disappears.

When I go to the task manager I see Monarch on the running programs list, but the program is not executed.

Reinstalling Monarch doesn't fix the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Monarch doesn't' fix it either.

ALL other programs on the server run fine.

This is the 3rd time this happens to us and it always happen after 3 to 5 months of daily usage.

On previous occasions the only solution has been to wipe the disk and reinstall the operating system.

Any help would be appreciated before I have to reinstall the OS again.

My specs are:

Monarch 9

Windows Server SP2 2003

4Gb RAM

Thanks!

Francisco Bricio

• Monarch won't start
          Data Kruncher

Hi Francisco,

Because you can see Monarch in the list of running programs in the Task Manager list, I wonder if it's essentially "invisible" to you but is running just fine.

Try this as a test. I copied most of the following code from the Programmer's Manual.

[FONT=CenturySchoolbook]Private Sub Form_Load()[/FONT]

Dim MonarchObj As Object[/FONT][/LEFT]

[FONT=CenturySchoolbook]'If Monarch is currently active GetObject will use Monarch. If it is not use the CreateObject() to[/FONT]

'open another copy of Monarch.[/FONT][/LEFT]

[FONT=CenturySchoolbook] Set MonarchObj = GetObject("", "Monarch32")[/FONT]

If MonarchObj Is Nothing Then[/FONT]

Set MonarchObj = CreateObject("Monarch32")[/FONT][/LEFT]

End If[/FONT]

MonarchObj.Visible = True[/FONT]

MsgBox "Monarch is running and should be visible."[/FONT]

MonarchObj.Exit[/FONT]

Set MonarchObj = Nothing[/FONT]

End Sub[/FONT]

/code

Copy and paste this code into an Excel macro, and be sure to go to the Tools menu, select References and about 1/2 down the list of items, check the box for Monarch and OK the dialog box. Now run the macro.

If this works, then Monarch may well remember to stay visible.

Otherwise, as with another suggestion earlier today, it may be time to look at registry settings.

Then again, I could be completely off track. :eek: :confused:

• Monarch won't start
              Francisco Bricio

Thank you very much for your posting.

I did the Macro thing (very clever!), unfortunatelly afeter a few minutes I get "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE Action" and then "Runtime '429' ActiveX component can't create object"

And the error line is: Set MonarchObj = GetObject("", "Monarch32")

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Francisco

• Monarch won't start
                  Data Kruncher

Rats...

No, sorry, no more ideas at the moment. Group??

• Monarch won't start
                      Grant Perkins

Francisco,

What happens if you start the monarch.exe directly from the folder in which it is installed?

Do you have a way to 'maximise' a running process?

This is a very long shot but some years ago I had an application that once or twice managed to close its window to a single pixel or even a negative screen position value. That gave the same symptoms as you describe. Program can be seen in application the list but not on screen. Finding the relevant 'default window size and position' settings in the windows registry allowed me to make it visible once again.

It seemed to be machine specific.

Re-install may not change those values.

Worth having a look?

Grant

• Monarch won't start
                          Data Kruncher

This triggered another thought.

Try creating a new shortcut to the Monarch executable. In the properties for the shortcut, there's an option for Run. Set it to Maximized.

Worth a try, and easier than messing around in the registry.

• Monarch won't start
                              lumberjack _

Good morning,

Yesterday evening I was reading this thread, and wishing it had a resolution at the end.  Well, after a few more hours of troubleshooting, I am now prepared to grant my own wish.

If your problem sounds exactly like what is described in this thread, try this to resolve:

1. Browse to C:/Windows/Temp

2. Remove or Delete all files named FILE####.ERR where #### is a number between 0000 and 9999.

Try again to start Monarch.

Whenever Monarch starts up, it writes a file to C:/Windows/Temp.  The naming convention for the file is FILE####.ERR where #### is a range from 0000 to 9999.  When all of the available names are consumed, Monarch fails to startup.  I moved the files to another folder and voila, problem solved.

It makes perfect sense when compared with the information in the original posting.  Reinstalling Monarch will not affect C:/Windows/Temp and so will not resolve the issue.  Formatting the drive would delete C:/Windows/Temp and resolve the issue.

For us, we simply moved the log files to another folder, and everything is now working without issue.  I hope this information is helpful to you.

V/R,

Lumberjack

• Monarch won't start
                                  Grant Perkins

Hi Lumberjack,

If there are no usable names available in the  designated temp directory (path may vary with Windows version deployed)  then you would very likely get the problem. However that should be an  extremely unusual state since the .ERR file should be removed every time  a Monarch session is successfully closed. Several other temporary work  files should be removed at the same time. If the system application  crashes for some reason (any reason) the temp folder may be left in a  'dirty' state. The .ERR files might be useful logs of what happened  right up to the point of failure.

Unless I have missed a set of  circumstances where this is not the case it suggests that there is an  anomaly somewhere in your systems that means Monarch is not closing  cleanly and so, over time, all available .ERR file names are being used.  It would not surprise me if you were to discover that a lot of  potentially quite large work files were lying around in the temp folder  at the same time for the same reason though I suppose it is possible  that point of failure comes after the closure process has tidied them  up.

I would be keen to investigate the cause of the littering if  it was my system - there could be other implications associated with  what you have found so far.

HTH.

Grant

• Monarch won't start
                                      Olly Bond

Hello Grant,

It might happen if Monarch is being called by a batch process, and not closing cleanly, that an ERR file is created each time, and so silently fills up the TEMP folder. This sort of scenario is a risk when desktop Monarch is deployed to a user who never actually uses Monarch, but just runs batch files or Excel scripts that call it. I've seen customers where Monarch is deployed like that - with some users who didn't know they could actualy run Monarch itself, and only ever clicked on the little icon someone made for the batch file.

All the best,

Olly