11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by KAKKER32 _ RSS

Error "This program cannot be completed because the other program is busy" using V9

Peter Nash

Help

For several months I have been having the above message on my PC when exporting. This  message appears with either Switch to, Retry or Cancel. You can not cancel but need to keep clicking on switch to and retry until it clears.

We have installed a new server (the error occurred on the old server), added extra memory on my PC and increased the connection speed on my PC to 1 Gbp. and had visits from outside IT support companies to look at. The problem still persists.

This will occur even for small  data exports.

Everyone now says it is Monarch (I am not convinced!)

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the solution

Many thanks

• Error "This program cannot be completed because the other program is busy" using V9
          Grant Perkins

Peter,

What are you exporting to?

Text file? Excel? Access?

I don't really have a comparable system so my ability to assist is limited but the only time I can recall seeing a similar sort of message is when expoerting to Excel (or maybe also Access) when that target file was open in another application.

Have you eliminated that possibility (I ask just to ensure that the basics have been considered. It's rather easy to start these solution searches at step 2 rather than step one ...!)

Grant

PS. Using the full message I get one hit on MS Live Search and another using Google - both different and related to different applications. Looks like it's 'one of those'. MS Office products may be involved ...

• Error "This program cannot be completed because the other program is busy" using V9
              Grant Perkins

Just after I posted the previous message I remembered the strange situation with 'default printer' problem and wondered whether this might be another manifestation of that strange problem.

For further reading try a quick search in the forum using "default printer".

Grant

Joe Berry

I have had this error in another application, but never in Monarch.  I think it might be more widespread than just office products.  I agree with Grant that it is "one of those errors".  One that many peope have, but there is not a definative answer.  Mine plagued me for a long time - everytime I ran a certain program.  Then one day it disappared and has never come back.

According to what I read at the time, there is something preventing the program from completing its task.  Might be a good idea to check Task Manager and see if something seems out of place there.  Another suggested that there might be a bad Registry entry and to use a Registry repair program.  I tried them all to no avail.

Grant's suggestion about the Excel file being open is a great start.  Another idea might be to duplicate your export, but changing it to another file type like MDB or TXT to see if the offending program is Excel.

Hope that helps find the problem.

Joe Berry

Peter Nash

Thanks for all the advice

I am exporting Excel

No the file I am exporting is not open - this gives anorther error message

I am running XP but the problem persists in Vista

I have tried a laptop with a non network version of Monarch 9 and it works as it should (bliss) but why? anyone any ideas

GuinnessDrinker _

The only time I have had that message is whilst trying to export to either Excel or Access when the workbook or table is already open.

Sometimes it has happened after a worksheet has been closed in Excel, but closing Excel and reopening to a blank worksheet has cured the problem for me

Grant Perkins

Peter,

Just for clarity does the message say 'program' or 'action'?

I'm beginning to wonder if it is a network registration thing. Are you using named users or concurrent users?

When you changed the server were things installed afresh or copied over?

Have you already taken this up with Monarch Tech Support?

Grant

Jodis _

Peter,

I found this string when I was struggling to find a solution to the same problem on a project file I have had in place for nearly 2 years.  I was exporting each filter (roughly 10, via project exports) to a separate tab of an Excel worksheet (Excel version 2007, I have office Vista).  After weeks of trying to "limp" through my export by clicking on switch to and retry it finally reached critical mass and started freezing up all together.  In a fit of frustration I created a backup and then went through each of the existing tabs I  export to, highlighted the entire spreadsheet and hit delete.  I'm an end user without any tech support background so I can't explain the reasons, but am thrilled to say it worked and I've been exporting again for a couple of days problem free!

Mostly just wanted to post this idea in case someone else finds this thread with the same problem.

KAKKER32 _

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but like Peter, I receive this error often. It is in the form of a dialog box and it states:

Server Busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.  Choose "Switch To" to activate teh busy program and correct the problem.

I will also mention that I only experience this error when exporting to Excel files.  I never see it when exporting to any other type of output.  In addition to some of the things already mentioned, it seems the excel file is sometimes launched, almost by itself.  I do not know what is launching the excel file, but it must be from within the Monarch session.  I am currenlty using 10.0 PRO.  My OS is XP PRO.  For what it's worth, I should also mention that I am normally running numerous Monarch Sessions from the same machine concurrenlty.  I hope someone can help figure out what is causing this, as I have a number of automated project files that export to Excel and each time this error occurs I am forced to waste time running the projects manually and waiting for the exports to process correctly.