8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

PDF files won't open

cclark9588 _

I have searched the forum for this problem but haven't found anything exactly like what we've encountered.

There is a report we run called a Suspense History report from our database that is delivered to us in an email in PDF format.  I am running V10 while my associate is running v9.01.  My associate cannot open the suspense history reports in Monarch and receives the error message, "File xxxx is not a valid PDF file.  It will be opened as plain text."  The result display is a bunch of gibberish.

I can open the very same file in Monarch with no problem and it displays properly.  I might also add that I have opened these very same reports in earlier Monarch versions, including v9.01 originally installed where I now work as well as my former place of employment.

My initial thought was that perhaps it had something to do with the programming routine that runs when we request these reports but it is the same programming no matter if I or my associate request the report.  My next thought was that there was a problem with the Monarch installation so I unistalled and then reinstalled the program with current updates for v9.  No help.  File associations appear to be correct for pdf's insofar as the icon and default program to open goes.

Has anyone got any ideas on what is going on?

• PDF files won't open
          cclark9588 _

We hopefully have discovered the reason behind the inability of my associate to open the pdf reports he's been requesting.

My associate has Monarch 9.01 (I have v10).  The requested report is sent by email from our network servers as an attachment.  If he opens the file in Acrobat and then uses Save As, that is where the problem is developing.

My associate has Acrobat Pro V9 and when he uses Save As in Acrobat it apparently is saving it in a version that Monarch 9 is not able to read.  I, on the otherhand, can open those same files in Monarch 10.

The workaround that we discovered is instead of opening the pdf attachmenta and then saving as from Acrobat he can right click on the attachment, copy and then paste the file.  He can then open it in Monarch.

Not the best of all worlds but it seems to work for now at least.

• PDF files won't open
              crazzi _

Is there a way that Acrobat Standard V9 will work in Monarch V9 Pro?? I know that I could install Acrobat V8 and it will work but the newer version of Acrobat is needed for other appications being used.

• PDF files won't open
                  cclark9588 _

Other than what I have above, don't know.  We've since upgraded all copies of Monarch to V10 and don't have any issues.

• PDF files won't open
                      elginreigner _

Why is your associate opening the PDF and saving as a different PDF format? What is the purpose of this? It sounds like you are not doing this and he is.

• PDF files won't open
                          cclark9588 _

The purpose of opening the PDF is to read it and the reason he ends up saving it in a different format to his hard drive is that he has a different version of Acrobat than the file is compiled in so when he saves the open file his V9 Acrobat saves it in a different version format.  He is doing nothing more than File, Save As, Save.  Simiple as that.  Acrobat is doing the rest.

That is the best we've been able to discern but as mentioned in an earlier post we did find a work-around which is to copy and paste the file then open it in Monarch.  Not to mention I insisted that all versions of Monarch that we use be upgraded to V10.