2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Itech _ RSS

Wildcards

Itech _

Using wildcards to filter data in Monarch doesn't seem to work correctly sometimes.  I want to filter for strings having 2 words in a certain order, but not necessarily together. 

An example filter would be:  FIELD = "ONETWO*".  When I try this all records are returned, even if they don't contain the words ONE or TWO.

For reference, I couldn't get any filter to work that had two separate asterisks in them.  For example, FIELD = "TEST" doesn't seem to filter correctly.

Anyone know if I am doing something wrong, or if this is just a bug in Monarch?

Using Monarch V9.01 Pro.

• Wildcards
          RalphB _

Hi Itech,

Have you tried the Instr() function?  That might work for you.

I did a quick test with instr("one",field)>0.and.instr("two",field)>instr("one",field) and was successful with my test file.

Give that a try.

• Wildcards
              Itech _

Thanks for the response RalphB.  I have switched to using the InStr function and it is working correctly. 

I did a little more testing and it seems Monarch doesn't correctly handle the * wildcard unless it is at the end of the string.  In other words, as soon as Monarch encounters a * wildcard, it matches the remainder of the string.

I guess I'll just use other functions for now and avoid the * wildcard.