3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch and temporary files

Lance _

Hi everyone

Can you tell me anything about where Monarch 3.05 stores temporary files? We have some requirements in our business regarding the secure processing of certain data, and I would like - if possible - to ensure that all temporary data is written to a certain encrypted drive.

Failing that, I would like to implement manual controls to destroy all the data immediately after processing.

Thanks for your help!

Lance

• Monarch and temporary files
          Grant Perkins

Hi Lance and welcome to the forum.

V3 eh? Hmm. Not many people around who are likely to have the definitive answwer at the fingertips I would think. I have a copu of V3 somewhere - but where it is I am not sure.

In later versions the HELP files have an entry for SETTINGS which likely contains the information you seek. I am not sure about V3  Help but it is worth taking a look.

In a section headed 'Hidden Settings' there would be an entry for 'Workpath'. That defines where the Temporary work files are recorded as they are processed. The files are deleted if the process completes successfully. The information is stored in the Windows Registry.

Presumably you would need to check that the files have been removed in the even of a process failure and also deal with the input folder files.

Does this help you at all? I'm not sure how far take my suggestions since I cannot check a V3 installation to see if they are likely to help you.

That said and given the seemingly critical nature of the security required, have you considered upgrading to take advantage of some of the more advanced capabilities that exist in Monarch today?

HTH.

Grant

Lance _

Hi Grant!

Thanks for the information; I've only just had a moment to glance at it, but it appears that yes, there is a WorkPath .ini file (Win 3.1) or registry setting for later Windows versions, at least according to the help file.

Sadly, a search in the registry doesn't actually find the key. The Monarch keys I do find under HKEY_CURRENT_USER don't have such a setting.

I do note that it dumps error files in the same directory as the executable, so I'm hopeful, but... but I think I may just have to find a program to trace file handles and see what it accesses.

Yeah, upgrading is on the list of things to do. Believe me, I'm pushing.

Cheers and have a great day,

Lance

Grant Perkins

Lance, I may be wrong but memory tells me that things were re-arranged somewhat over the years - notably when XP was released.

Unless someone has changed the setting intentionally I think the default is your windows default. When you open a Monarch session the workfiles are created so I guess you could simple look for new files after opening a session? I'm not sure about V3 but in recent versions the file name of the several temp files is formatted with "FILEnnnn.xxx"

HTH.

Grant