7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

My model does not maintain changes I make

Eric A

I am using Monarch Ver 9  I have several projects that come from CSV file databases.  My problem is several of them have stopped working properly.  Once, I simply opened the project and my table populated data from my CSV file, now I get a blank table (only my headers appear) and I have to go into File\Database and go through the steps.  On the "Sample Database" step my Delemited Text Perameters are:

Delimited Character: Comma

First row contains column names: checked

Quoted value may contain embedded text lines: not checked

Text Qualifier: "

Character set: UTF-16LE

Lines skipped at top: 0

I change the Character set to ANSI and my data comes up.  I have finished and saved my model and project but every morning it's the same issues.  Any assistance would be greatful.

• My model does not maintain changes I make
          Grant Perkins

Eric,

Have there been any changes to your PC or network environment that might have coincided with this problem's appearance?

Have you tried saving the model9s) and project(s) with new names to see if they give different results?

Has anything changed on the input file? (You may need to dig quite deeply to get an answer for that one.)

Grant

Steve Caiels

Hi Eric,

I would save the project as well.  Field selection and I think the ANSI/ASCII setting are stored in the model.  But skip headers, blank rows etc are in the project.

Regards,

Steve.

Eric A

Thanks for the input

I renaming my model and project, and also verified that no changes have been made to our network.

The following change has been made to my input files.  Our Vendor sends the file.  They automatically change the .csv output from UTF-8 to ASCii file format. Also any null characters in the file are also removed.

When I save the database setup changes I make manually to my model, (I save the model and project) shouldn't those saved changes be applied going forward?

Steve Caiels

Hi Eric,

I’m pretty sure the changes should be saved.  As you say, if the structure of the input file has not changed, you should be able to open the project and end up in whatever view you were in when you saved the project.

How complex are the models and projects?  Is it viable to recreate them from the beginning?

It’s possible that something has caused a confusing entry to be saved in one of them and that could be preventing the successful load?

Regards,

Steve.

Grant Perkins

Hi Eric,

Steve's comment reminds me that on about 2 occasions some versions back I did have a couple of similar problems that seemed to result from model files becoming corrupt during the 'writing to disk' part of the process. I never did discover why it happened and I could not induce the problem no matter what I tried. It looked like one or two lines were written back into the file in the wrong place for some reason and there was no way I could see to make the correction reliably.

As I recall there was also a know problem with this change function in V8.00 (unrelated to file corruption as far as I know) that was patched in an update release. Your profile suggest you have and use V9 so in theory the V8 issue should not be a factor but I cannot say that with certainty of course.

One option you have as a test would be to create a simple Project (since it seems likely at this stage that the Project file couoold be the problem) and save the file. Then try changing the flag setting to see what happens. If that works change the setting back and forth a few more times and saving in between some of the changes and see what happens during that process.

If it all works OK the corrupt file theory is likely correct. If not we would need to start to consider what other factors need to be considered.

HTH.

Grant

Eric A

Thank you both!  That did it!   Must have been a corrupt file.  I've built new projects and models and everything works fine and changes save correctly also.  Now I think I'm getting greedy but I'm going to ask anyway.  I was able to import all my calcs, filter, sorts and summaries.  Is there ANYWAY to import "Project Exports"?  Thanks again!

Grant Perkins

Glad that worked Eric.

I don't think the Project files have any import capability - nothing I can think of really. Sorry.

Components of models are quite likely to be re-usable but projects tend to be somewhat standalone creations. Maybe that is something that could be considered for a future change?

On similar lines I guess it might be useful to create an Model file and a Project file integrity checker/fixer, though to be fair the number of times the problems like this arise (so far as I know) is so few that it may not be the best use of anyone's coding time.

Frustrating I know but hopefully you wont see the problem again within living memory!

Grant