9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Greg Fortgang RSS

Printing pages Monarch 9

Peter Nash

I am trying to print using page selection i.e pages 2 8 9 from a report containing 20 pages but when I use this I end up with the full report. like wise if print page

Has anyone any idea?

• Printing pages Monarch 9
          Jim Weeks

Hi, Peter.

I'm not sure if you put it in your posting exactly as you have it in the print screens, but ususally a comma is required between the page designations.

Peter Nash

This did not work The problem is in the print screen "Pages   from to " when we put numbers it prints the whole print

Grant Perkins

Peter, welcome to the forum.

I have just run a quick check and selective printing by page seems to work for me in V9 and V10 but there are so many possibilities about what you are printing as a report (Report Screen, Pages from a Table Print representation, Pages from a Summary?) and what you are printing to as well as page format settings and so on that I can't be sure I am checking on what you are trying to do. Too many variables in the mix any one of which may be problematic.

Can you provide a little more detail please?

Some suggestions of what might be relevant (though some may not be ...)

Which screen?

What sort of output?

User controlled printing or some form of automation?

Which file output type?

What is the output device (i.e. printer) and is is on a network or direct connection?

Does Monarch's internal pagination match the report's pagination? Which are you seeking to limit by page numbers?

There may be more but these are what come to mind for now.

HTH.

Grant

Peter Nash

Screen -Summary screen

printing is controlled

it is a network printer

I have tried putting page changes in the summary reports ie when data changes and printing pages 1 to 4 and getting 58 pages!

The printer is a Dell

Grant Perkins

Peter, 

I have experimented with V9 and V10 and can confirm that, so far as I can see,  printing form a Summary will indeed print all the summary even if is will notionally be paged according to a 'new page on key change' setting.

I am surprised that this happens if you specify, say, pages 1-4 since this selection is possible in the print options screen. I am less surprised that various non-range pages cannot be selected since the print option to do that is not presented anyway. Possibly this is because the pagination is done 'on the fly' so the concept may be somewhat haphazard to apply. The same comments sort of apply to pages 1 - 4 I guess, but not quite as evidently.

In Excel one would have to establish page breaks, I think, and so in effect create some print format instructions - a step which is not available in Monarch. I'm not sure what Excel offers from that point on.

In some situations filtering may give you the selection of pages you need from the summary (by limiting the rows to be selected) but this may not be terribly helpful to you.

In less I have missed something hidden I fear you are stuck with what you get. You could try printing to another electronic format and then editing from there but that is clearly not an ideal solution for you, albeit it should be possible to select the pages you want since the page breaks should by then be embedded in the file.

Probably best to raise a request with support to have a look at this matter for a future release.

Sorry I can't offer more useful help.

Grant

Peter Nash

Many thanks for your help I have passed on to the useer this end, he will just have to highlight area and print

He tells me the fature we are looking for worked in version 7!

Grant Perkins

Many thanks for your help I have passed on to the useer this end, he will just have to highlight area and print

He tells me the fature we are looking for worked in version 7![/quote]

It seems he is correct that it could be done in V7.

I suspect that much of the underlying technology had changed since then though  - printing matters are 'variable' in a number of Windows applications I use.

That said there may be other ways to produce what he needs that could assist his endeavours - I'm going to guess is is something to do with sepearte distributions for key field changes and V10 has some interesting advances in that area.

I would still advise rasing the matter with Monarch support.

HTH.

Grant

I've been having the same problem with version 9.  This did not happen in previous versions.  Like you, I also have to manually select the range I want to print - otherwise I get ALL pages.