6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Column calculation

ml_383 _

Hello! New to the forum, long time user of Monarch.

I have vertical values in a text file, I'd like to calculate column "a2 - a1" "a3 - a2" etc with the results in column b. Is it possible within Monarch to do this? Excel can do this on the fly, but I'd like to simplify the process and eliminate extra steps. I'm using Monarch Pro V10.00.

15  5

19  4

21  2

25  4

30  5

• Column calculation
          Grant Perkins

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think this is really an Excel Spreadsheet thing (or indeed any spreadsheet I suppose) so currently best left to them since they are established and proven.

I could perhaps see a way to do this under some very specific circumstances and if there were other aspects of the content of the report that might assist - but realistically you are probably not in a position to gain from such constrained ideas.

If you were to consider an automated process using a script (or full controlling code) then you could consider exporting a step to Excel to get the calculated result as a lookup table and simply read the value back into Monarch. May be possible using a single model run twice but from a single batch file starting point.

I doubt this is what you were hoping for but it's all I have come up with.

Grant

• Column calculation
              Data Kruncher

[URL="http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?t=154"]Nick had an idea a while ago[/URL] about integrating Excel formulas into your Monarch model that might help speed things up, even if the calculation is pretty straight-forward.

• Column calculation
                  ml_383 _

It sure would be a nice to incorporate this natively into Monarch as a feature. I have many columns of snmp counters where I only want the values per time period not necessarily the entire column. It can be done in Excel, but it's an exceptional amount of additional work.

I'll try a this recommendation, It gave me an idea, maybe I can save a step or two. Thanks for the follow up.

• Column calculation
                      Grant Perkins

If you can identify the time period (and I assume you can) could you not just make a summary including a period key and using COUNT to get the number you need?

Grant

• Column calculation
                          ml_383 _

I tried summary and count by time period only returns a "1". Each row in the column is increasing in value, I'm not sure how count would work when you want to determine the result based on current rows value subtracting the previous row.

• Column calculation
                              Grant Perkins

I tried summary and count by time period only returns a "1". Each row in the column is increasing in value, I'm not sure how count would work when you want to determine the result based on current rows value subtracting the previous row.[/quote]

I was thinking that from your earlier description it might be that each row represented a time period analysis but with a rolling subtotal. Thus if you have a number of records for a period (i.e. a row) using count you might get what you need directly from that.

However if that is not what you have available from any summary you could engineer then it does seem an unlikely route to a solution.

Grant