5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Network based Monarch

Cluiszer _

So I have been working with Monarch now for about 3 months and I am trying to automate some of the reports I run on a daily basis. 

My question is whether or not it matters if I am using a network based version of Monarch?  I have V6 downloaded on my computer, but V9 which I have been using lately is network based.  Thanks for your help!

• Network based Monarch
          Data Kruncher

Hello and welcome to the forum Cluiszer.

No, it shouldn't matter that you're using a network version.

I found a couple of posts which discuss [URL="http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600"]storing your network logon ID in the registry[/URL] to avoid being prompted to log in when your automation runs.

Connecting remotely, such as when using Citrix software, seems to be more of a challenge, though.

HTH,

Kruncher

• Network based Monarch
              RalphB _

Cluiszer,

Since you have 2 versions of Monarch, you can run either one.  Just make sure each version is in its own directory.

If you are building and sharing models among other users, make sure the model you've created is compatible for their version.  Monarch added several new functions in V9 that will not work in 6.

• Network based Monarch
                  Cluiszer _

Thanks for the responses guys, So I do in fact use Monarch through Citrix, which seems to limit some of its capabilities (I could be completely wrong though). 

Also, does anyone know a good place where I can learn the basics of writing the codes necessary to automate some of this stuff.  I must admit MS-Dos was a little before my time so I never used that, and as a result I'm not so good at writing even the most basic line commands.  I have read through the manual, but I think I might need something a little more rudimentary than that.  Any ideas?

• Network based Monarch
                      Data Kruncher

If you're a little uncomfortable with DOS batch files, I've got just the thing for you: [URL="http://********************/tips/monarch-batch-file-generator"]a Monarch batch file generator[/URL].

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, you might be interested in another Excel-based tool I developed to help you [URL="http://********************/tips/monarch-programming-class"]automate your Monarch work[/URL]. It includes plenty of examples of functional program code and full descriptions. It's meant to be understood and used by people who aren't "trained" programmers, and so far I haven't heard anything to the contrary from those who have received it.

HTH,

Kruncher

• Network based Monarch
                          Grant Perkins

I thought it worth reiterating that there is a BIG difference between V6 and V9 and it really is one way (and limiting) development for models. You can use a V6 model in V9 (it will converted as required) but not the other way around.

However there are so many additional and very useful features in V9 that to use V6 as a development base would be very limiting. On the other hand if other users are still using V6 you may not have a choice - just make sure you are fully aware of where the limits are to save as much confusion as possible!

HTH.

Grant