5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:03 AM by RalphB _ RSS

First-time poster / long-time user

Domer1987 _

Hi Everyone!:D

I've been a Monarch Pro user on and off over the past 10 years.  I love the product.

My question is pretty straightforward: I'm struggling to extract address information from a little over 1,500 PDF files[/B].  I'm using Monarch Pro 8.02 and using the Postal Trap (I know I don't have too, but I'm "old school" and it's working.) I'm also using the "Address Blocks" functionality-- works great when I pick up address data.

My problem appears to be that some of the addresses I'm trying to extract do not begin in the same position in each PDF file.  As a consequence I'm not picking up all of the addresses.  I searched the threads and found posts to solve similar problems but none that are specific to my issue.  Is there any obvious solution to this problem which escapes me? There is at least one completely blank line above the address blocks, but I can't figure out how to use the advanced tab for "field starts on..." to make it work for me.

Can someone give me a hand or point me to a thread? Also, here's a bonus question: is there a limit to the number of PDF reports one can open[/B]? I selected all 1,500 at once but they didn't open.  I trimmed down the number and there were no problems.

Much obliged!

Murph

• First-time poster / long-time user
          Data Kruncher

Hi Murph, and thanks for joining us here.

1500+ PDFs... you're a brave fellow.

As you've found if you break that set up a bit, you'll be fine. You'll also find that Monarch handles large amounts of files better when reading a local drive rather than over a network connection.

As to the "not beginning in the same position" problem, do you mean that the addresses are shifting horizontally somewhat from file to file (hopefully), or rather vertically (not very likely but must ask)?

Kruncher

Domer1987 _

Yes, I had to batch print 1,500 Word documents to get the PDFs...it was a late night.  But I digress...

You are correct in your hopeful assumption: the addresses are shifted horizontally.  The anomalies appear to be shifting to the left.

Thanks for the help!

Murph

Data Kruncher

OK, next we hope that the left shifting occurrences don't cause overlap problems with adjacent fields in the files wherein the address isn't shifting.

The solution that I've used in similar situations involves painting the address wider that you expect it to be (on both the left and right sides, as is possible given any adjacent fields), then running that through a calculated field to trim leading spaces.

This [B]may /B[/I]mean that you go from capturing the address block as a single multi-line field (that likely ends on the end of left justification) to capturing multiple single line fields for each component of the address, then recombining them (with chr(10)+chr(13) between the fields) into another field which is in turn used by the address block.

If however you run into overlaps, well, then it'll get fun... :eek: