5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Version 10

Nancy10 _

Where should discussion about Version 10 be posted?  I'm surprised to not see anything.  I figured there would certainly be some early adopters!

Nancy

• Version 10
          Data Kruncher

Hi Nancy,

This is the right place. I'm sure that the discussion on v10 will be escalating shortly, but it usually takes a couple of weeks after the new versions are released before there's much activity on it here, it seems.

Are you using v10 already? If so, what do you think? What immediately jumps out to you as being the most useful new feature or ability?

• Version 10
              Nancy10 _

Hello, Krunch.

No, I'm not using it yet, but I probably will soon.  There are lots of features that look intriguing, and I'm interested to see how they're implemented.  You know--the old "sounds good, but how does it work" thing.

One of my clients is particularly interested in the new pivot table features.  Do you know if those are compatible with Excel 2003?

And are V10 models backward-compatible with V9?

I'd love to get my hands on the documentation.

Nancy

• Version 10
                  Data Kruncher

My understanding  - I don't yet have v10 - is that the pivot table features are only for Excel 2007. I was lucky enough to get a bit of a preview of v10 at the user conference this year, but I couldn't share the details with anyone prior to the release.

As to backwards compatibility, typically the older version will only be able use the features that it understands in the model definition (xmod), so the answer is likely "partial" based on just the extent to which new-to-v10 features are used in the model. Examples would be the new built-in functions, and such.

• Version 10
                      AlexM _

I also got the announcement this morning (or was it yesterday?) re v10.

I can't wait to get hold of an upgrade from v9 Pro but I'm waiting to hear when this will be available here. It would be great if a downloadable trial were available from the Datawatch site to play around with as I'm keen to see what improvements have been made to the Summary exports to Excel, besides the pivot tables, of course.

One feature that would certainly be useful to me (I don't know about anyone else and I have no idea whether this is improved in v10) is the ability to add full subtotal/total colouring options where a given field is displayed "across" as opposed to "down".

For example, I have a list of customer sales transactions containing products, quantity sold, a financial period and the customer's country. If I want to produce a list showing sales by country going down and the financial period going across (to analyse purchase patterns), only the end figure of quantity sold totalled by country will appear in my subtotal colour choice or on the final total row. There is no option to colour the quantity subtotals by country AND by month which I'd like.

Anyhow, yes, a forum or thread for v10 would be useful as we'll all be learning together!

Alex

• Version 10
                          Data Kruncher

Alex,

A couple of the nice new abilities in summaries include the ability to instantly apply the label formatting of key items to the measures, and being able to export a separate sheet for each group of key values. So you'd be able to instantly create a workbook of all of the sales of products by SKU number and each SKU will be on its own worksheet in the same workbook.

Or account numbers, or customer names, or ... :cool:

Or they each get their own workbook file. Your choice.