3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Text in Numbers Column

dcpaw _

I'm new to monarch and and not very techy.  I have a pdf report that has about 15 columns.  I'm trying to trap the vendor name, transaction number and debit and credit columns.  The problem I'm having is the column to the left of the debit column is a description field and on some lines text goes into the debit column.  I need the trap on the debit column to be wide enough to capture 9 digits to the left of the decimal (large dollar amounts), but when I do, I get text also.  And apparently if there's text and a number, the number doesn't get captured into the table.  When I use the "verify field boundaries" I get one of the following two errors: Text for field debit cannot convert into a valid number or A non blank character is on the left side of the field debit.

Is there a way to tell my trap, that I want to convert everything to numbers or to ignore the text?

Thanks,

Danny

• Text in Numbers Column
          Grant Perkins

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is "No" but since you have indicated that you are starting with a pdf file there may be some potential for 'manipulating' how that is interpreted so that the text is spread wider and allows the columns to be repositioned (and maybe widened for the MCR columns, depends how the conversion reads things with adjusted values) so that you get columns free of the text from the description.

For a background starter check out the Help file for "PDF import" especially the "Output Scaling" section. Adjustnments here may help  - don't worry of things get really wide, it can always be resolved later.

If that does not get you a result we may need to go down a more 'advanced' route - something that often happens with people new to Monarch it seems. Diving in at the deep end  - or should we call it 'accelerated learning'?

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

:cool:

Grant

• Text in Numbers Column
              dcpaw _

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the advice.  I played around with the output scaling and finally got the report to work at 7. 

Thanks again,

Danny

• Text in Numbers Column
                  Grant Perkins

Hmm.

I may seem rather extreme but sometimes PDFs can be like that.

Since all this is background stuff once the model works (providing future examples of the report follow pretty much the same rules on the pdf creation side of course ...   ) it doesn't matter too much how one gets there!

Probably a good I dea to check a few future reports though as they come in. (I'm assuming this may not be a one-off analysis.)

Glad you got it to work and thanks for the update.

Grant