3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

DataPump v9 backup seems to shut down the data pump service?

scottnelson _

It seems like a Data Pump backup is running the BackupRestore.exe utility, the data pump goes down....am I missing something?  or shouldn't the backup happen while everything is still live??

• DataPump v9 backup seems to shut down the data pump service?
          Gareth Horton

Scott,

Data Pump shuts down during the backup - you can configure it to restart automatically after it has completed.

Gareth

It seems like a Data Pump backup is running the BackupRestore.exe utility, the data pump goes down....am I missing something?  or shouldn't the backup happen while everything is still live??[/QUOTE]

scottnelson _

How do I configure data pump to restart after a backup?  I don't see any options for that.

also, this seems like a bad "feature."  any plans to change this in the future?

Gareth Horton

Scott,

If you are configuring a schedule from the MDP Administrator it will do that automatically, as it creates a Scheduled Task that runs BackupRestore.exe with a command line.

FYI, here are the command line arguments.

Usage: BackupRestore  Specifies the maximum time to wait for system shutdown.

-nostartup Specifies that MDP is not to be restarted after the operation completes.

-q[uiet] Operates in non-interactive lights out mode.

-? Shows this usage message

The timeout spedifies the maximum amount of time (in hh:mm:ss form) to wait for system shutdown to occur before commencing the backup or restore

operation. The default timeout is 5 minutes.

When -q[uiet] is specified the backup or restore operation proceeds without user interaction and the result is reported in the system event log.

If you are doing it interactively, there is a checkbox which is enabled by default that will force MDP to restart after a backup or restore.

Gareth