8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Jeff C RSS

Problem opening excel on iphone

Jeff C

I am using DP v 9 and Excel 2003 and I am having a problem with my distributors being able to read the excel files that I am emailing them to their iphones.  When they open the emails it reads:

Sorry, this document cannot be viewed.

the document may be password protected or an error occurred while reading it.

The file is also being emailed to their pc's with no problem being read.  Anyone ideas?

Thanks

Jeff C

• Problem opening excel on iphone
          Data Kruncher

Hi Jeff,

Being neither an iPhone nor DP user, all I can do is say that it seems that you're not alone. Some help, huh?

I'm sure that you've already searched for solutions elsewhere, but you might want to double check that you're outputting Excel 2003 attachments and not [URL="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7882020"]Excel 2007[/URL] or [URL="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7029285"]Excel 95[/URL].

I hope that you're able to solve this one. Good luck.

Gareth Horton

Jeff,

Is this happening with XLS files, XLSX files or both.

If it is XLS, you could try XLSX files, which should also work with IPhones.

The XLS files definitely work with Blackberry, as we can test them.  We do not have any iPhones.

Do you have access to an iPhone, as I could try sending you some test files to try?

I'll PM my e-mail address, just in case.

Thanks

Gareth

I am using DP v 9 and Excel 2003 and I am having a problem with my distributors being able to read the excel files that I am emailing them to their iphones.  When they open the emails it reads:

Sorry, this document cannot be viewed.

the document may be password protected or an error occurred while reading it.

The file is also being emailed to their pc's with no problem being read.  Anyone ideas?

Thanks

Jeff C[/QUOTE]

Jeff C

Been a while...we have had MANY other system projects that have pushed this problem back.  But not it is on my plate again.

The way the system works that I must work with is this:

Data pump creates an excel file and emails the file to our email server which then shows the email on the individuals pc at their desks which are running Excel 2003.  The server then pushs the emails out to the individuals cell phones.  Those that have Blackberrys are not experiencing any problems but those that have iphones are.  Those with iphones love them and are not wanting to get rid of them for Blackberrys...so..  What I have data pump doing is pushing out the xls files and the same file in xlsx.  So now they get both on their pc's and both are pushed to the iphone.  They have installed a patch on the pc that allows the excel 2003 to read excel 2007.  The folks in our IT department are wanting to use the fact that the iphones are not able to read xls files as a reason to force the individuals onto Blackberrys.  So I am given the task of trying to figure out why an iphone will not read an xls file but will read and xlsx file. 

To further complicate the matter, those with the iphone have noticed that if they open the xls file, close it, and forward the message to the iphone from their pc then they can read it on the phone.  They have also noticed that the size of the message from data pump versus the size of the file if they manually forward the message is different...therefore they have deduced that data pumnp is making the file unreadable on the iphone and want to to find out why. What could excel be doing to the original xls file when it is opened then closed that makes it readable?  Permissions?  Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

That is strange. Have they tried saving the attachment to the phone before opening it?

I've read of people putting Open Office on their Iphone, maybe that could solve some of their problems.

The only other thing I could think of is having Datapump save it in a different format. (CSV maybe.)

People are strange about liking their Iphones so much, but the reality is with Apple constantly pushing out updates (and soon a new Iphone) there is no way to keep up. IT is probably right. Support of multiple phones isn't worth the cost. And without you having an Iphone to test on how can you test anything?

I'm assuming they have AT&T, in which case at least they could switch out SIM cards if they really don't want to get rid of the iphone.

Gareth Horton

Jeff,

The offer is still open, I've PM'd you my email address, just in case.

Gareth

Been a while...we have had MANY other system projects that have pushed this problem back.  But not it is on my plate again.

The way the system works that I must work with is this:

Data pump creates an excel file and emails the file to our email server which then shows the email on the individuals pc at their desks which are running Excel 2003.  The server then pushs the emails out to the individuals cell phones.  Those that have Blackberrys are not experiencing any problems but those that have iphones are.  Those with iphones love them and are not wanting to get rid of them for Blackberrys...so..  What I have data pump doing is pushing out the xls files and the same file in xlsx.  So now they get both on their pc's and both are pushed to the iphone.  They have installed a patch on the pc that allows the excel 2003 to read excel 2007.  The folks in our IT department are wanting to use the fact that the iphones are not able to read xls files as a reason to force the individuals onto Blackberrys.  So I am given the task of trying to figure out why an iphone will not read an xls file but will read and xlsx file. 

To further complicate the matter, those with the iphone have noticed that if they open the xls file, close it, and forward the message to the iphone from their pc then they can read it on the phone.  They have also noticed that the size of the message from data pump versus the size of the file if they manually forward the message is different...therefore they have deduced that data pumnp is making the file unreadable on the iphone and want to to find out why. What could excel be doing to the original xls file when it is opened then closed that makes it readable?  Permissions?  Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]