The issue isn't so much your command as it is the START /WAIT at the beginning. Somehow the syntax needs to be tweaked to keep all of your parameters together. I played with it a bit but have yet to find the solution.
Take out the start /wait and it'll work, though you may need to may your /34 into /034, and add a "" at then end too.
START seems to be executing the Utility. It does nothing, then closes. Then it sees your input file as a command, so it opens it with the default program for csv files, which happens to be Excel.
The remainder of the parameters are ignored by START as it doesn't know what to do with them.
Perhaps someone (Nick?) will have an immediate solution that doesn't require further research.
Thanx Kruncher, that was helpful.
I removed the START/WAIT and replaced it with CALL and it works. It appears that your explanation of what START/WAIT is doing is correct. I did not have to change anything else and it works.
BTW, would this change your response to dwatcher1's question "dos command line question w/Monarch Pro V9.02" back in April? I got the START/WAIT idea from that posting.
Thanx again for another prompt reply. Great forum!!
Hmm... could be. That may generate the same symptoms you've encountered.
Who knew!?! :eek:
Although... I'm pretty sure that I tried it at the time and it was OK. :confused:
Will need to research this a bit, but today's not the day as things are a bit tight. More later...
I've got it solved JTR.
The "C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\MonarchU.exe" part of the line isn't being interpreted by START as the executable, but instead it becomes a title for the START process. Now there's a title, and the csv file becomes the executable; thus the file opens in Excel.
Give it the title it wants, and it'll execute as intended. You just need to change it ever so slightly:
Start /Wait "Monarch Batch" "C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\MonarchU.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\PhoneTree\Ventura_ENF_200_Report.csv" "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\PhoneTree\Ventura_ENF_200.csv" /cr "/34"[/code]
This is really a big step forward for being able to build multi-part Monarch batch files, wherein the output of one step becomes an input for another step, so the batch absolutely must WAIT for the output process to complete.
I've seen other multi-part batch files discussed on the forum, but I don't believe that they've made specific mention of the required "title" for the START command.
The first step is to remove the quotes around fields from the CSV input file. /quote
Is the input csv file inconsistent in the way the "quotes" are applied?
If not are you using it as a database or as a 'text' input file?
If as a database and assuming consistency in the input for every field there is a parameter flag to be set on the 'read' page to tell Monarch that the field may contain some form of quoted text. The character used can be selected form a drop down list.
Saving the model, once a selection has been made, and applying the model when opening the file should eliminate the need to to use the utility to prepare the input file.
Pairing the model and file in a project should make it simpler still yet allow the possibility to override the field selected in the batch command if required.
Of course you may have some other reason for stripping the quotes but I thought I would make this observation just in case - or I may have missed something else entirely when interpreting your question.
Kruncher, I understand what you are saying. Makes sense. I will play around with this and the CALL command I am using. The batch works great, I CALL three processes - MonarchU to clean up the input CSV file from the state (much better than Prep), Monarch to read the CSV file, process it and output a Summary file, and Monarch again to read in the Summary file, process it and output a CSV file for the phone calling program. The phone calling system has no problem reading this CSV file to create the database it is expecting.
Grant, I do read in the CSV file that has quotes around every field, actually has 3 sets of quotes (eg. """field"""), as a database with the parameter flag set to expect quotes. The output still has quotes around most fields except for two, which are changed to numeric. Phone number being one of them.
By using MonarchU to strip all quotes, the output is cleaner. Monarch then actually identifies the correct character, numeric and date fields.
I hope this makes sense.
It is amazing getting help from someone in England and someone in Canada. Where were you two when I was struggling through V3.0 over 10 years ago. In another phone system related forum I visit, one guru is in Australia. Too cool. :cool:
Again, thanx for your input.
Hence my caveat to my comments previously.
Presumably the file you receive has been through a couple of exports somewhere before it reaches you.
Monarch Utility sounds like it is defenitely the way to go on this one.