5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Wrapping Text with long records

Cindy Matosky

I am having problems trying to figure out how to capture text that can wrap to the next lines in a file.  The file has a few identifier fields then can have up to 3000 characters of text on the one line and wrap for multiple lines.

I first approached the problem by having 12 fields each of which were 250 characters, but them I run into trouble if the text wraps to the next line and the first character is a space.

I then tried the prep utility with /lr 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 250 as the option, but had problems with blank lines inserted.  And the same problem if the first character ends up to be a space.

Any suggestions?

• Wrapping Text with long records
          Grant Perkins

Hi Cindy,

If I read it right the problem report line is 3000 characters. Monarch V8 should allow files with lines of up to 4000 characters to be readable (earlier versions had a 1000 char limit).

On that basis I think you need to set up a field for the width of the text and make it a MEMO[/B] field type AND a multi-row field[/B]. Multi row fields are created by going to the Advance tab in the field proprties (Right click when you have painted the field) and choosing a method for the 'End field on' value that will give the results you need. Which option is mmost suitable will depend on your report layout.

If you check the Help information you should get a great description about what the options offer but if you are not sure which is best just try the ones that look likely and see on screen what effects they have.

Let us know if you stil have problems or, indeed, if you don't!

HTH.

Grant

Cindy Matosky

I have Monarch V8 and there is a character limit of 254 even on a memo field trap.  I can not trap more than 254 characters at a time.

Grant Perkins

Cindy,

Sorry, it was the middle of the night when I posted and I failed to note all my thoughts.

Firstly have you attempted to reformat the report by using something like Wordpad and setting to wrap the lines? It might offer something but I'm assuming there that the extended text is at the end of the line and it might not be or there may be other reasons why the approach is problematic.

Other then that your idea for reformatting the text field using the Monarch Utility (Prep) would be sound. I am not sure why you get the blank lines - I have not needed to use Prep for a while so I am a bit rusty there. But even if you do get blank lines for some reason it should be possible to set an 'end field on' value in the advanced properties that would deal with the blank lines as far as grabbing the field is concerned.

Any chance of a small sample of the report - mainly for formatting understanding - so we can see the problems at first hand?

Grant

Cindy Matosky

Grant,

Thank you for all your help.

I was getting blank lines actually because the client was only sending me 1404 characters in one line, rather than the 3000 that they had told me.  They were also had cr/lf in the middle of the fields which was causing it to wrap before the 1404.  There is also a record identifier number in the beginning of the first line and the subsequent wrapped lines are in the first character.  These issues were causing problems when I used the Monarch prep anyway so I ended up making multiple template fields and merging the data on each line into a comment memo field.

thanks again.

Grant Perkins

Hi Cindy,

Sounds like you were fighting quite a battle there.

Did you try the MSRP (or related Monarch Utility function) to deal with the cr/lfs in the middle of the fields?

I also wonder iof the Monarch Input Options realting to Report Translation would be useful but I guess you tried those as well.

Was this a one off exercise? If not it there may be some mileage in checking a few more ideas ready for the next version of the report!

:eek:

Grant.