10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by cticompserv _ RSS

Browse Folder Buton

Tim Racht

We are testing Monarch V9 and are unable to use the browse folder button in project exports for existing files.  If we do not have a filename then we are able to use this button.  If we have a filename then the box to select the file will appear and then quickly disappear.  Has anyone had a similar issue upgrading to V9?  Please let me know and I can supply more information if you need it.

Thanks,

Tim

• Browse Folder Buton
          Data Kruncher

Hi Tim,

I've never seen that particular behaviour, but I'll venture a bit of a guess and say that it's a .Net related symptom.

V9's online help recommends [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en"].Net Framework 2.0[/URL].

HTH,

Kruncher

• Browse Folder Buton
              Jeff Layton

We upgraded to NET Framework 2.0 and we still have the same issue.  Moreover, we tried completely uninstalling Monarch version 8 from all our network servers, and then did a clean install of version 9.  I tested it today and I am very disappointed to say, we are still having the same issue.

Datawatch has indicated that they cannot replicate this issue.  I must ask, are we really the only ones who have encountered this problem?  I'm having a tough time believing we are.

I really need to get this resolved soon.  Due to another system upgrade scheduled to occur next month, we will need to re-point all of our Monarch projects and DataPump jobs to a new shared drive location, set up to house all the base files we use, via this wizard function.  There are tons of them and I am not looking forward to the exorbitant amount of work that will be necessary especially now with this most current issue.

Is there anyone out there that can help us?

• Browse Folder Buton
                  Grant Perkins

Jeff,

I can imagine some possibly confusing things depending in the settings for overwrite and so on but I imagine DW support has taken you through that area.

Is it a path name thing  - have you checked that already?

Or maybe permissions?

It could be something very specific to the process. Are you in a position to describe the process in full so that some of us could attempt to simulate what you have idebntified?

Grant

• Browse Folder Buton
                      Nigel Winton

Jeff

Just a thought, but as you are having to do a mass change of file location, have you considered using the Monarch Utility. That will allow you to replace many things within projects and models. I changed the report file location for about 150 models in a few minutes.

Regards

Nigel

• Browse Folder Buton
                      Gareth Horton

Mystery solved.

It has to do with a Group Policy setting:

Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer, Common Open File Dialog, "Hide The Dropdown List Of Recent Files"

If this setting is enabled, it interferes with the Microsoft Common Dialog, which is used in Monarch to browse and open files.  It only seems to happen in the case where you open a project where the files cannot be found, and you are then prompted to browse and locate them. 

If this policy element is not applied, the issue does not occur.

As Nigel mentions, the Monarch Utility is ideal for bulk replacement of file references when you have to move locations.

Gareth

• Browse Folder Buton
                          Data Kruncher

Well done, Detective Horton! :cool:

Thanks for sharing this solution.

• Browse Folder Buton
                              Jeff Layton

Kruncher – Thanks for pointing us in the right direction!

Grant – Same to you!

Nice work, Gareth!!!!!  You’ve truly outdone yourself here!

Our own John D'Anna in IT asked a great question last Wednesday.  He asked why we never saw this Group setting manifest its self by creating an issue with any of the other million and one programs we use throughout the company?  To which Doug and I, laughingly, responded, "Good Question!",....

Either way, I just want you and the others at Datawatch to know that the users of Monarch and DataPump software here at Farm Family sincerely appreciate these tools as well as the excellent customer service Dtatwatch provides!  I personally would be lost without them.  I believe I can speak on behalf of the users at Farm Family when I say, we truly look forward to a continued strong partnership with Datawatch as we move forward into the future together.

Once again, you have our sincere thanks for helping us overcome this issue,  I love this forum!  It's filled with extremely helpful individuals!  I truly was beginning to think we had a stumper here, but once again, I've been proven wrong and that's just fine with me!  I don't mind being wrong at all!  The solution is what counts!

By the way Gareth & Nigel  - If you guys don’t mind, I’d love to learn more about this Monarch Utility that is ideal for bulk replacement of file references when you have to move locations.  Can one or both of you help me with this?

• Browse Folder Buton
                                  Nigel Winton

Jeff

The Monarch Utility should have been loaded when you initially loaded Monarch and is normally available through the Start Menu All Programmes then Monarch.

The choice you need is Manage externalreferences in XML models or Projects.

Then you will need to select the directory you store you projects in. Remove the *.xmod from the filename box so you are only selecting projects then on the next page you can select replace to replace the old with new directory.

I found that copying the files to a new directory and practicing there helped until I got familiar with the Utility, then unleash yourself on the main directory and change all those references.

Once you get used to it you will find all sorts of uses for the Utliity.

Regards

Nigel

• Browse Folder Buton
                                cticompserv _

Mystery solved.

It has to do with a Group Policy setting:

Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer, Common Open File Dialog, "Hide The Dropdown List Of Recent Files"

If this setting is enabled, it interferes with the Microsoft Common Dialog, which is used in Monarch to browse and open files.  It only seems to happen in the case where you open a project where the files cannot be found, and you are then prompted to browse and locate them. 

If this policy element is not applied, the issue does not occur.

As Nigel mentions, the Monarch Utility is ideal for bulk replacement of file references when you have to move locations.

Gareth[/QUOTE]

I have a user experiencing the same problem when opening Monarch files.  The file browser disappears and we can't find it.  It's still running...somewhere.  We can exit Monarch normally and restart.  I originally thought it might be related to a second monitor that was installed but when removing the second monitor, the problem still occurs.

I showed this suggestion to our network admin and he says that our group policy doesn't touch Windows Explorer, therefore can't be the cause.

Is the "Hide The Dropdown List Of Recent Files" setting enable by default in Windows XP?

Kent

• Browse Folder Buton
                                    cticompserv _

OK, I fixed our problem.  Another suggestion is to delete a particular registry entry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch\User Interface\FileDialogInfo, however, when I first started looking at this problem that entry was not in the user's registry.  I went back and did a full registry search for FileDialogInfo and found it in HKEY_USERS instead.  I should have done a full search in the first place.  I deleted the entry and the file browser no longer disappears.

Kent