3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by fpeters151 _ RSS

Table Join source key contains duplicate values

fpeters151 _

I use Monarch V5.0 to create a purchasing spreadsheet.  The table is derived from a system report and joined to an Excel spreadsheet that contains inventory management data. The join is done on two columns which give a unique key.

I have to update the spreadsheet each month. When I do this update, I may have a different number of records, so I rename the ranges and the database area to include all records and exclude all blank rows. Since I export this data from Access the cells are padded with blanks, I remove those.

Today I got the error message "The source key contains duplicate values. "

To locate the duplicate values, I have concatenated the two Excel columns to column B and sorted by column B, then in column A run a formula

=if(B2=B1,1,0) for all populated cells in column B. This would return 1 if the cell above is the same as the cell below. It returns only 0. I cannot find any duplicate records.

The spreadsheet I'm joining to has about 3800+ records. Is there a maximum number of records that Monarch can join to?

Any ideas?? I'm desparate.

• Table Join source key contains duplicate values
          Grant Perkins

HI fpeters and welcome to the forum.

V5 is going back a while and I don't have ready access to any limit information but I certainly don't recall a limit that would be as low as 3800 records.

You have checked potential issues related to blanks or no matches. I'm not being funny here but no matter how many times you have done that it may be worth getting someone else to check your logic/process. I have lost many hours over the years doing similar checks and missing something obvious every time it took more than 10 minutes

The other thing might be to ensure that the lookup link is not somehow truncating the input - i.e. it is not actually using the same data you are checking. Typically most likely on the longest keys - does the latest file have any new longer keys? Is that possible the way the links work?

Just thinking aloud at the moment ...

Grant